The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 06:06 AM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about
Default Any experience with Orvis Helios / Hardy Sintrix??

Hello Fly Fishing Friends,

I am thinking on an additional a light rod for dry fly fishing and I have these two rods in my personal thoughts:

1. Orvis Helios, 7´6", # 3wt.
2. Hardy Sintrix Zenith, 8", # 3wt.

Does anybody have personaln experiences with one or both of these rods? Unfortunately I have no dealer close to my home, so that I would be pleased to get some information from you in advance

THORSTEN
Old 03-26-2013, 06:44 AM
deathwish

Default Re: Any experience with Orvis Helios / Hardy Sintrix??

Hardy best rod on planet
Old 03-26-2013, 06:59 AM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwish View Post
Hardy best rod on planet
Now I have a problem, because my friend says: "Orvis best rod on planet!"
shotgunfly likes this.

THORSTEN
Old 03-26-2013, 07:06 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I have not tried either of those models, but in longer 5 weight rods I found the Helios 2 to be a little more delicate at short distances and the Hardy to be a little more precise at longer distances.

The reality is, Orvis and Hardy are two of the best brands in the business, and Helios 2 and Zenith are their best rods. You won't go wrong with either one.
mcnerney, thorsten and troutnut4 like this.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 AM

boomslang is on a distinguished road

Don't send your money to Asia to later borrow it back with interest. get the Orvis.

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

p.s. there is no such thing as "best rod"....
Old 03-26-2013, 09:15 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomslang View Post
Don't send your money to Asia to later borrow it back with interest. get the Orvis.
Boomslang, Thorsten is German. It doesn't matter to him whether he buys an American rod or an English/Korean one. He just wants the best one for his purpose.
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:08 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Thorsten, I have no experience with the #3's. In the 8 1/2'/#4 I have compared them and give Zenith the edge and, as line size gets into the 5's < the Hardy's increase their advantage. Orvis's strength has long been in the little, light line delicate small stream rods, however, and, especially in H2, you can't go wrong with either.
thorsten likes this.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:32 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I see you want a 3wt dry fly rod,,

Consider the Orivs most seriously. Personally, I'd eye the Orvis Superfine Touch for a most outstanding dry fly rod.

If in the end, you decide against an Orvis, consider the Winston's.
thorsten likes this.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:01 PM

Hello,

Many thanks for your comments - that´s GREAT!!

I already have one RST (German brand) #3-4 wt. rod and an Orvis Frequent Flyer #3 wt. rod.
The RST rod was a one-off production in 1995 and is a little bit too "rough" and handles also a 5 wt. line, but for nymphs it is OK (I guess they shorten a 5 wt. rod). The Frequent Flyer is a very nice rod, but I use the Frequent Flyer just for travelling and it also a little bit too long (8´6").

Because of that I am looking for a real sensitive, shorter rod for the fine dry fly fishing (or very light nymphs), which has a first-class workmanship

THORSTEN
Old 03-26-2013, 12:04 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I know you are asking about a 3wt not a 5 or 7. However, since I just recently bought the Helios and the Zenith, I feel I should chip in. I bought a Helios 7wt for bass. The 7wt Helios is a great rod, powerful, precise and easy to cast just like my helios 5wt. However, as much I liked the helios 7wt, I returned it and bought the Hardy Zenith 7wt instead.
The Zenith is more like the NRX and the Helios blended together, the tip is more sensitive, and unbelievable strong material (I am pretty much gullible), cost less and light as well.

If I had the money I would keep the Helios 7wt as well. My personal preference is going for the Zenith.
thorsten likes this.