The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Preparing a gift. Need your help :) (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/314763-preparing-gift-need-your-help.html)

terahz 03-26-2013 08:59 AM

Preparing a gift. Need your help :)

Hello!

I'm trying to put together or buy a prepackaged fly outfit to give my father for his birthday. He has never done any fly fishing (plenty of fishing though) but I know he'd like to try and I also plan to include a casting class with a local instructor for him.

So, given:
- beginner level (never held a fly rod) with plenty of fishing xp.
- 9ft 5wt
- a rod that he can "grow" on
- warranty not as important because he lives in eastern Europe (I'm in the US)
- at least 4pc rod as I need to ship it.
- around $400 budget

After about 30 hours of reading about fly fishing gear (didn't know the first thing about fly fishing before) I've narrowed down my choices to:

- Cabela's RLS outfit ($135 sale - plenty of room for extras like flies/vest/bags etc, even the ODC 420UL float tube which is also on sale for 180 at Cabela's:))
- St. Croix Rio Santo ($200 - same as above)
- Cabela's Stowaway 6/RLS+ combo ($260 and packs nicely)
- Albright A5-NS + Teton Classic + ?? line ($320 + ?? line)
- Winston Passport/Lamson Konic Fly Combo ($360 comes with Scientific Anglers GPX WF floating line)
- Winston Passport + Teton Classic + ?? line ($350 + ?? line)

I guess I'm not sure if it is worth getting something like the Winston Passport to a complete beginner vs something cheap like the cabela's kits and maybe after a year invest in a better setup? That being said, I doubt my dad will ever buy a second rod unless I make him another gift :)

Thanks!

s fontinalis 03-26-2013 09:50 AM

Re: Preparing a gift. Need your help :)

allen have a good deal on full set up right now. check them out. allen fly fishing

i've also fished the A5-NS. Great rod.

troutbound 03-26-2013 11:02 AM

Check out Flyshopcloseouts.com. I just bought my TFO with the Konic 2 reel and line, alittle over 200.00. It's a 5wt 4 piece

cw76 03-26-2013 01:32 PM

I would recommend the Winston Passport/Lamson Conic combo from the list you have there. Out of curiosity where in E. Europe? Good Luck:)

terahz 03-26-2013 01:42 PM

s fontinalis and troutbound, thanks for these but you are not making my decision easier by giving me even more options :) There are indeed some really nice deals on flyshopcloseouts.. and the Allen Xa combo is a nice price too.

cw76, thanks. The Winston Passport is my favorite rod (again solely based on reading reviews and suggestions, I've never fly fished myself). I'm just not sure about spending the money on the reel since I doubt on this light weight (5) setup it will ever be used for anything other than to hold the line (again based on my reading). I can save $100 by getting a cebela's reel and put that towards a few sets of flies instead to make the gift more complete... Oh, and I'm from Bulgaria.

Thanks again, I still have a few days before I have to purchase and send it, so I'll see if someone else chimes in.

s fontinalis 03-26-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terahz (Post 540966)
s fontinalis and troutbound, thanks for these but you are not making my decision easier by giving me even more options :) There are indeed some really nice deals on flyshopcloseouts.. and the Allen Xa combo is a nice price too.

cw76, thanks. The Winston Passport is my favorite rod (again solely based on reading reviews and suggestions, I've never fly fished myself). I'm just not sure about spending the money on the reel since I doubt on this light weight (5) setup it will ever be used for anything other than to hold the line (again based on my reading). I can save $100 by getting a cebela's reel and put that towards a few sets of flies instead to make the gift more complete... Oh, and I'm from Bulgaria.

Thanks again, I still have a few days before I have to purchase and send it, so I'll see if someone else chimes in.

In terms of customer service - Allen cant be beaten, consider that too.

They have a huge following on this site, and others.

terahz 03-26-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s fontinalis (Post 540972)
In terms of customer service - Allen cant be beaten, consider that too.

They have a huge following on this site, and others.

Which combo of theirs would you recommend for a total beginner?

s fontinalis 03-26-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terahz (Post 540986)
Which combo of theirs would you recommend for a total beginner?

really depend on the fishing conditions. small creek? big river?
bushy or open along the banks....

that said, a 9' 5wt will fish a lot of situations.

terahz 03-26-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s fontinalis (Post 540990)
really depend on the fishing conditions. small creek? big river?
bushy or open along the banks....

that said, a 9' 5wt will fish a lot of situations.

I was asking more about which model. I think 8.5' - 9' 5wt will be fine for him