The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 02:26 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Which small steam Orvis rod?

I'd get the Superfine or find an old Trout Bum. I had one and kick myself every time I think about me selling that rod!

Randy
Old 03-31-2013, 09:48 AM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Which small steam Orvis rod?

Hello Paul,

I am in a similar situation and I am looking for a Hardy Sintrix 8"/3wt. or an Orvis Helios 7´6"/3wt. I also started a thread about this topic.

Last Thursday I went to a dealer who sells Hardy and Orvis. Unfortunately he did not have the 3wt. rods in his store, just the 4wt. rods.

But anyhow -maybe it helps you a little bit- I was focused on the Hardy first. But when I have seen the finish of the Hardy rod I was a little bit dissabpointed with the finish of the Hardy rod. At the end cap of the rod was too much glue, which was welled out. And the upper part of the reel retainer was made out of plastic.

The Orvis (mid flex) rod was much better made, a really nice rod. And even the 4wt rod was good for the fine dry fly fishing. When I think on the 3wt. I am pretty sure that this is what I want - A fine rod for small rivers for fine dry fly fishing.

I also checked a Sage full flex 3wt. rod, but I feel better with a mid flex rod. The full flex was to soft in my opinion.

My conclusion: I am going to buy an Orvis Helios 7´6"/3wt. midflex rod when I will be the next time in the USA. Here I will take the combo with an Orvis Mirage LA I reel in gold

THORSTEN