The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Which small steam Orvis rod? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/314883-small-steam-orvis-rod.html)

Zorba 03-27-2013 11:48 AM

Which small steam Orvis rod?

Hi All

I'm looking at a couple of small stream Orvis rods and wondered if anyone might have experience or opinions of either.

One is an Orvis Superfine Touch 7' 6" #3 full flex and the other is an Orvis ZG Helios Ion 7' 6" #3 mid flex.

many thanks

Paul

moucheur2003 03-27-2013 11:52 AM

Re: Which small steam Orvis rod?

For years I have been looking for a 7' 5 wt Orvis "Small Stream Special". They went out of production years ago and nobody ever wants to sell one. They have a unique taper that is designed for rollcasting, short casting and other close-quarter work where the usual backcast/forecast will get hung up in the branches.

Small Stream Reflections: A Fly Rod

ctyslcr 03-27-2013 06:02 PM

I have an Orvis "tight loop" which is probably an early superfine. Wonderful 4 wt rod and it came with an English made Battenkill 3-4 wt. Great rod. I love using it and probably will have it forever!!

Regards,
Peter

bear 007 03-28-2013 03:41 AM

I picked up an orvis superfine touch this winter, 7'6" 1wt., I haven't fished it yet but I think its going to be one sweet rod. It's super light, and the action feels perfect for my small Brookies.

pszy22 03-28-2013 03:55 AM

I haven't fished the current generation of Orvis Superfine rods, but I have been fishing the previous generations of a 7.5' Orvis 1wt Superfine for the past 18 years. It's been more than capable of handling anything I've asked it to do when it comes to trout. I have incidentally hooked a few steelhead over the course of those years, and not surprisingly, the battle was over before it really started.

I'm not sure what kind of small stream conditions you plan to fish, not knowing, this option may not be at all appropriate. But in any case, I thought I'd mention it. This is a rather specialized rod, but for the right environment/niche, it's a very interesting rod to fish -

brunsell "li'l streamer"

r reese 03-28-2013 06:38 AM

I have a 6'6" superfine touch in 3 wt love it for small waters also have a winston wt 6'6" 3wt both of these rods are great fit finish and cast great the longer orvis you will not go wrong with superfine touch rods are about as good as it gets for 495.00 every bit as good as the winston good luck I like my full flex rods

mrfzx 03-28-2013 07:43 AM

I definiotely vote for the Superfine full flex. Given the difference in price, and the fact that it is full flex makes it the best choice IMHO. I own a Helios 5wt in mid flex, and love it, but my Winston Biit is my small stream go-to rod, and it is closer to a full flex.

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 AM ----------

My point is: go with the full flex, you won't regret it.

shotgunfly 03-28-2013 09:58 AM

I had the ZG Helios mid flex 7' 4wt and traded down in price but up in performance for the small streams I was fishing with it. I got a 8'6" superfine touch it's my go to brookie rod. Light enough to make the fight fun and soft enough to present flies well vs the faster action on the helios rod. Plus it loads with little line for those very small sections.

The rod does get a sloppy when casting out "far" past 30ft.

dwtalso 03-28-2013 10:20 AM

I picked up an 8ft 4wt Superfine Touch last fall and it's become one of my favorite rods even though I've broken the tip now twice (once manhandling it to get an ice ball out of the tip-top guide, and once in transit to a site). I got it for the middle-sized streams in my area and I love it.

psychologicalperch 03-30-2013 04:27 PM

I have both rods; they are both incredible but i reccomend the superfine touch for small streams without a doubt. It is the perfect full flex.