The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 11:48 AM

Zorba is on a distinguished road
Default Which small steam Orvis rod?

Hi All

I'm looking at a couple of small stream Orvis rods and wondered if anyone might have experience or opinions of either.

One is an Orvis Superfine Touch 7' 6" #3 full flex and the other is an Orvis ZG Helios Ion 7' 6" #3 mid flex.

many thanks

Paul
Old 03-27-2013, 11:52 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Which small steam Orvis rod?

For years I have been looking for a 7' 5 wt Orvis "Small Stream Special". They went out of production years ago and nobody ever wants to sell one. They have a unique taper that is designed for rollcasting, short casting and other close-quarter work where the usual backcast/forecast will get hung up in the branches.

Small Stream Reflections: A Fly Rod
Old 03-27-2013, 06:02 PM

ctyslcr is on a distinguished road

I have an Orvis "tight loop" which is probably an early superfine. Wonderful 4 wt rod and it came with an English made Battenkill 3-4 wt. Great rod. I love using it and probably will have it forever!!

Regards,
Peter
Old 03-28-2013, 03:41 AM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

I picked up an orvis superfine touch this winter, 7'6" 1wt., I haven't fished it yet but I think its going to be one sweet rod. It's super light, and the action feels perfect for my small Brookies.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:55 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I haven't fished the current generation of Orvis Superfine rods, but I have been fishing the previous generations of a 7.5' Orvis 1wt Superfine for the past 18 years. It's been more than capable of handling anything I've asked it to do when it comes to trout. I have incidentally hooked a few steelhead over the course of those years, and not surprisingly, the battle was over before it really started.

I'm not sure what kind of small stream conditions you plan to fish, not knowing, this option may not be at all appropriate. But in any case, I thought I'd mention it. This is a rather specialized rod, but for the right environment/niche, it's a very interesting rod to fish -

brunsell "li'l streamer"

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 03-28-2013, 06:38 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

I have a 6'6" superfine touch in 3 wt love it for small waters also have a winston wt 6'6" 3wt both of these rods are great fit finish and cast great the longer orvis you will not go wrong with superfine touch rods are about as good as it gets for 495.00 every bit as good as the winston good luck I like my full flex rods
Old 03-28-2013, 07:43 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I definiotely vote for the Superfine full flex. Given the difference in price, and the fact that it is full flex makes it the best choice IMHO. I own a Helios 5wt in mid flex, and love it, but my Winston Biit is my small stream go-to rod, and it is closer to a full flex.

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 AM ----------

My point is: go with the full flex, you won't regret it.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:58 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I had the ZG Helios mid flex 7' 4wt and traded down in price but up in performance for the small streams I was fishing with it. I got a 8'6" superfine touch it's my go to brookie rod. Light enough to make the fight fun and soft enough to present flies well vs the faster action on the helios rod. Plus it loads with little line for those very small sections.

The rod does get a sloppy when casting out "far" past 30ft.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 03-28-2013, 10:20 AM

dwtalso will become famous soon enoughdwtalso will become famous soon enough

I picked up an 8ft 4wt Superfine Touch last fall and it's become one of my favorite rods even though I've broken the tip now twice (once manhandling it to get an ice ball out of the tip-top guide, and once in transit to a site). I got it for the middle-sized streams in my area and I love it.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:27 PM

psychologicalperch is on a distinguished road

I have both rods; they are both incredible but i reccomend the superfine touch for small streams without a doubt. It is the perfect full flex.
shotgunfly likes this.