The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 09:37 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Orvis Far and Fine 7' 9" 5wt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyslcr View Post
Tip, I'll give you $100 right now!!!LOL

By the way, for what it's worth yours has the sock, the ebay one doesn't.

Regards,
Peter
The eBay one also has a replacement (non-original) tip section.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Time to tell what I think I know............

The rods produced between 1974 / 75 & 1983 / 84, were the original Orvis Low Modulus Graphite shafts. To the best of my knowledge they all came with raw aluminum down lock hardware & cork inserts. The 'LMG' rods were designed to replicate the actions of the popular Orvis bamboo and some of the fiberglass rods they had made their name on for many years.

What the graphite rods did was to combine the light weight and higher line speeds with the medium action that was and is a great joy to cast with. Off the top of my head I can think of a few early graphite rods that took on the names of some of the Orvis companies most popular cane rods ie the Limestone Special, The Far & Fine, and The All Rounder. Some of the earliest specimens I've seen had no name at all but were either 7.5 - 8' in length and simply called Orvis Graphite Rods.

When all the original recipe blanks and materials were used up they introduced a 'second generation graphite', this being very similar but in my opinion just a tad faster than the original blanks. With this second generation circa 1985 - 1987 came the introduction of anodized (black) hardware in up locking configuration and usually coco bolo wood inserts instead of cork. The grips also changed a bit from the super fine cigar style of the first Far & Fines to the semi western style with the superfine front taper.

The vintage 1774 - 1984 rods are very desirable and the prices paid regularly attest to this fact. At auction, typically a mint 1980 Far & Fine will sell between 250 and 385 dollars. There are some flukes where no one is bidding seriously and in such cases the rods sell rather cheap considering their quality. On average 250 - 325 dollars is a fair selling point. As many of you know I have been fishing with one since 1979 and use it a great deal. I believe it to be the very best fly rod I own.

Ard
fysh and yonder like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-29-2013, 07:20 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Time to tell what I think I know............

The rods produced between 1974 / 75 & 1983 / 84, were the original Orvis Low Modulus Graphite shafts. To the best of my knowledge they all came with raw aluminum down lock hardware & cork inserts. The 'LMG' rods were designed to replicate the actions of the popular Orvis bamboo and some of the fiberglass rods they had made their name on for many years.

What the graphite rods did was to combine the light weight and higher line speeds with the medium action that was and is a great joy to cast with. Off the top of my head I can think of a few early graphite rods that took on the names of some of the Orvis companies most popular cane rods ie the Limestone Special, The Far & Fine, and The All Rounder. Some of the earliest specimens I've seen had no name at all but were either 7.5 - 8' in length and simply called Orvis Graphite Rods.

When all the original recipe blanks and materials were used up they introduced a 'second generation graphite', this being very similar but in my opinion just a tad faster than the original blanks. With this second generation circa 1985 - 1987 came the introduction of anodized (black) hardware in up locking configuration and usually coco bolo wood inserts instead of cork. The grips also changed a bit from the super fine cigar style of the first Far & Fines to the semi western style with the superfine front taper.

The vintage 1774 - 1984 rods are very desirable and the prices paid regularly attest to this fact. At auction, typically a mint 1980 Far & Fine will sell between 250 and 385 dollars. There are some flukes where no one is bidding seriously and in such cases the rods sell rather cheap considering their quality. On average 250 - 325 dollars is a fair selling point. As many of you know I have been fishing with one since 1979 and use it a great deal. I believe it to be the very best fly rod I own.

Ard

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 03-29-2013, 07:28 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post

The vintage 1774 - 1984 rods are very desirable and the prices paid regularly attest to this fact. At auction, typically a mint 1980 Far & Fine will sell between 250 and 385 dollars.
I already have a Far and Fine (the very last iteration before the model was discontinued altogether), but I would pay $400 for a vintage 1774. Bookends, if you will. But its authenticity would have to be proven. Orvis didn't begin stamping dates on the butt caps until well after the Revolution.

Ben Franklin must never have visited Vermont, or he wouldn't have used a key.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:11 AM

jastrout is on a distinguished road

Moucheur 2003. Great idea as I have the Troutbum version and it is sad if it is the last version. My second F&F is a second generation model which was described with unfinished blank and black uplocking hardware and cocobola wood. Staggered ferrule . Never has seen water. Awesome casting rod. Tippet may have a bidding war .LOL. Classic rods are so cool
chew likes this.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:45 AM

This recent eBay sale looks pretty comparable. Tippet's is newer but more minty:

Orvis Superfine Far Fine 579 2 7' 9" 5wt Fly Rod Leland Upgrade | eBay
Old 03-29-2013, 09:33 AM

ctyslcr is on a distinguished road

Whoever gets this rod is getting a prize. I have a 1983 Tight Loop 4 piece. It is 8' and a 4 wt. All it says on the blank is Orvis graphite. The butt end says Tight Loop, 2 1/4oz. (4) 0283. The reel seat is uplocking. It came with an Orvis Bakkenkill Multiplier disc 3/4, made in England. I bought rod and reel together last September for $192 on ebay. The rod and reel may not be mint but are at least in excellent condition. No scratches on the rod and the reel still has a great finish without scratches and all the print is bright white and very readable. The drag works fine too though it not needed for the small streams I use it in. It is the go to rod for that type of fishing for sure. No sock or original case. It did come with a rod/reel case. I think the sock and original tube definitely add value. Bidding on ebay is slow now and I think $250 is ambitious today. I'd wait on Tippets rod if I were looking for the best price. It will only go up. Perhaps in May you would get some really good bidding activity.

Regards,
Peter

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

The Leland Upgrade is a 1980 rod. Very nice rod. I think Tippet's is in better condition.

Regards,
Peter

Last edited by ctyslcr; 03-29-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:05 PM

tippet will become famous soon enough

Guys, thanks to everyone who's replied or sent me information on the rod. Also thanks to everyone who's made an offer both on and off line.

Honestly can't imagine I'd ever sell this rod for less than $250. Still unsure if I want to sell it. Down the road I can see myself having the need for a 5wt and from what I've heard this rod is a joy to fish. So packing it away for retirement is not out of the question.

Thanks again.
Hardyreels, fysh and nickj like this.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:41 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Ha! You're not the first to post one of these for sale and then reconsider after everyone says what a wonderful rod it is. Store it away, hopefully some day you'll always pick it up first.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:49 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i'll go 150

ARFE