The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 10:21 AM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough
Default Define a "Technical Rod"

I have been fly-fishing for a number of years now and am still confused by the term "technical rod." Does is describe a dry-fly rod with a stiffer butt and softer tip? Does it have limitations in other applications? I have frequently seen the term used when someone asks about an all-around rod and responses are that the rod in question is more of a technical rod vs an all-around rod.

Thanks in advance for any insights
Old 03-30-2013, 10:35 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Define a "Technical Rod"

I might see it more as a marketing term. Sage has used it with two series, TCR and TCX. They are very fast rods (rather stiff rods with soft tips) and popular with tournament casters.

The rod can throw any line and fly combination, but everyone will have their preferences. I prefer to use one as a streamer rod because it can handle huge payloads.

Dennis
Old 03-30-2013, 12:16 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

To me,,,it means when you cast a 'bug' onto a leaf at 30ft,,and gently slide it off,,,and make it look exactly like drama unfolding on the stream....

Or have a dry come down so soft, it appears to have 'some' will left to still try and remain airborne.

I know the game varies with the fisher'person. To the next guy it maybe be hitting a feeding seam on a river at 75 ft with a streamer.

It MAY mean material development for a specific blank. I just know what it means to me.

Probably though,,,It's marketing.

We used to call it skill.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I might see it more as a marketing term.
Bingo!

Fortunately I read the replies of others before I type a redundant post.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-30-2013, 01:53 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Ask Bobby Knight he wrote the book on technicals and he fly fishes as well!
fly_guy12955 and mi_trouter like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-30-2013, 02:27 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Any rod that does not perform well should be considered a technical rod, incapable of performing well for anyone but the most anal of all fly fisherman whom consider its mastery an acknowledgement of a higher learning.

Dave

Last edited by littledavid123; 04-01-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:55 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Dave, I believe you have reached Enlightenment. May all us mortals stand there someday ! LOL
Old 03-30-2013, 10:00 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Did you see the term used somewhere in particular or just generally?
Old 03-31-2013, 12:31 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I might see it more as a marketing term.
Absolutely.

All rods have a grain window. In a single hand rod, that window is large and forgiving. In fact when it comes to single hand rods, most of this stuff is way overthought by the consumer, and a lot of it has been as the result of marketing. Some of this marketing I believe, is driving rods in a less than helpful way.

If we were not convinced we needed more and better rods in a rapidly evolving cycle, they would sell much less than they do. Look at the One. There were posts on here counting down till it came out that reminded me of Cartman and the Nintendo Wii. (Need to be a fan of South Park to get that one) There was a ton of hype and I am sure the sales were pretty hot and fast for a while. Now if you look around you can pick one up on ebay or elsewhere for half the cost, most saying like new or barely used. Even shops are trying to dump them. When the hype no longer works, they will discontinue it and come out with The Two, or some other marketing driven thing.
mcnerney and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:35 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

When I think technical I'm thinking dry fly fishing on water that is smooth as glass for big fish eating small flies.
I'm thinking a big brown under an undercut bank that will spook if he even thinks you are dreaming about him sipping on mayflies.
Long, light leaders with flies thrown 60 feet that land on the water with no ripple. And then BAM!!!! FISH ON!!!
A rod that flex's so much the tip can touch the butt to protect that 6x tippet your fishing.

Randy
mcnerney and fly_guy12955 like this.