The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 08:06 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really worth it ?

All these "worth it" threads have the same answer: If it is worth it to you, then it IS worth it. Buy what you like, can afford and enjoy it. Whatever that is.

Some things I like to buy new, but I have really been enjoying looking for deals. While not as much fun as using the gear, it is another fun aspect of collecting.
imxer, Hardyreels, FrankB2 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by jaybo41; 04-02-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

only the consumer who is buying the rod can decide if its worth it or not. i have four 700 dollar rods and a few that cost around 250.I dont regret the high end rods . I had the money when I bought them and they are wonderful pieces of equiptment.Unfortunatley they were purchased before my divorce theyre probably arent any more 700 dollar rods in my future for a while.the cheaper rods that i have still fish well and i dont feel like if i dont catch alot of fish on a certain day its because of an inferior rod. I just buy what i like and can afford. you dont need to pay 700 bucks to get a good rod and enjoy some fishing but if you want one and have the money then its worth it.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a 225 year old house.
Only the first floor has central heat, it's drafty, there's no air conditioning, the plumbing is lousy and some of the rooms don't even have electricity.
It lacks comforts and qualities that many people find essential in modern life but yet we like it here, it's homey and we would never trade it for a modern house with all the bells and whistles.
Some people have the need for new, shiny and high tech, but that sort of thing does not necessary speak to everyone.

We all have our favorites, but when I pick a fly rod out to use for the day, you can bet my choice and reasoning to fish one rod over another would not be the same as the next guy's. We don't all have the same values.
My rods and reels may look old and cheap and dated, but they're practical and many of them have a different sort of value to me that others may not share.

Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels, mrfzx, jaybo41 and 2 others like this.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I'll try an apples to apples shot at this, I'm not fishing today. I have a modest priced 9'/#5, an early Albright EXS, that is a terrific fishing rod. OK, it is made in Korea and, though well built, is not beautiful...in fact it has a funky Formica flake-like paint job. I really like its taper though and it has plenty of power; I have made many a good cast with it and hooked countless trout while fishing it. I have broken it once but a new section was supplied to me at no cost. It is a back-up rod now because I got a Hardy Zenith $659.00 rod in the same size. It is well-built in Korea too and, though better looking than my EXS, it is not a work of art cosmetically...but it is when casting it. It loads in close much better than EXS and is much smoother in its taper transitions as I reach for different presentation distances. Zenith has remarkable reflexes and is a joy to fish with. I have lots of rods from many different price points that I fish with and it means nothing to me what anyone I meet astream thinks about what class of tackle I have...though, as on this forum, my buddies and I may hang around the camp fire dissecting tackle performance and how it enriched our day. You, we, the fly fishers, fish with our fly rods and a good caster will perform well with any reasonably balanced outfit, new, old, inexpensive or dear. A good caster will also discern the differences between a simple, competent rod and the work of a master rod designer.

Even as a penniless trout bum decades ago, the differences between a common fly rod and the craft of master designers was abundantly clear. I am not as strong now as I was then but my technique has continued to evolve and there is no way I am going to ignore or deprive myself of the very real advances in material and design that make the current crop of fly rods the finest ever built.
Hardyreels, mrfzx and troutnut4 like this.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:11 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I forget who posted they feel different, but the more expensive rods I've tried do feel better (at least the ones I bought after trying). My bank account wishes this weren't so, but 'tis.
Jackster, Hardyreels and oarfish like this.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey Paul,

That's a pretty darn nice 225 year old house buddy! If I had that and a trout stream right down the lane to walk to I don't believe I would worry at all about anything.

Beautiful!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-02-2013, 01:53 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hey Paul,
That's a pretty darn nice 225 year old house buddy! If I had that and a trout stream right down the lane to walk to I don't believe I would worry at all about anything.Beautiful!
There's one across the street
imxer, Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:11 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Ard, Paul. Your house is very nice! Nobody will say you live in a trailer now....not that I thought you did....and not that the member who implied that did either. Seriously, that's about as picturesque a home as I could hope for.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:05 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Rip Tide, That is a characterful home...shouldn't you be fishing with Calcutta or Greenheart though instead of glass with a house of that vintage? Just kidding, and despite my admiration for the newest material fly rod technology, we had a 150+ year old galvanized pipe rust trough in our house last spring so I know the charms of an older house well.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Nobody will say you live in a trailer now....not that I thought you did....and not that the member who implied that did either.
I'd forgotten about that No I don't live in a trailer.
It's a 1780s center chimney Georgian style farmhouse on 4 acres with 14 rooms, 5 fireboxes, 2 beehive ovens, a "meat closet", and a root cellar.
The name of the house is the Mitchell Homestead.

The actress Renee Zellweger has a similar (but much nicer) house for sale down the street on the river if anybody's interested.
That one is called the Cotton Tavern

Click the image to open in full size.
mojo, Hardyreels, mrfzx and 1 others like this.