The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it really worth it ?

rip as a student of colonial american history ( hunting with smoothbore flintlocks and flintlock rifles is my other passion) i have to say that is a fascinating house. do you know much of the history on it?
yonder likes this.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:11 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

dpreller, I was into 18th reenacting, hunting with flinters,,,smoothbore and rifle,,but I'm disciple of the smoothbore,,,a .62 early English fowler made my Mike Brooks,,is my fav flint hunting smooth gun. Killed several deer with it.
Fun stuff, isn't it ?
yonder likes this.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:07 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

yes it is! I actually hed to sell my smoothbore fusil last year for financial reasons but hope to replace it with a virginia smooth rifle soon. its fun showing people who dont know how you can take game with a flintlock.just last week a friend and Iwho bowhunt together were at a farm we lease pulling some stands. Ihad my rifle with me and set up a shoe box with a 2inch orange dot at 50 yards. rested the rifle on the hood and put two round balls through the dot. he just stood there and looked amazed. you oughta see the looks on the other lease members faces when I drag a deer out in october mz season dressed in buckskin leggings breech clout wool hunting frock and moccasins. meanwhile they are standing there like the cover of a cabelas catalog with there scoped in line. priceless!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:23 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpreller View Post
rip as a student of colonial american history ( hunting with smoothbore flintlocks and flintlock rifles is my other passion) i have to say that is a fascinating house. do you know much of the history on it?
A bit. There's a family cemetery out back and I was able to put together some of the family genealogy.
The family that built the house originally lived up around the corner and had 12 children after having migrated from Providence
They built this house for one of the sons, Lot Mitchell ...who also had 12 children. He was a veteran of the 1812 war.
I assume the families were so large because they had farms and mills to run.
The large extended family all lived together for generations which is why the house had 2 kitchens
Hardyreels and oarfish like this.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:12 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I have a number of rods in that price range (fly and others) and I can say without a doubt it's worth it. It's not snobbery or showing off it's about performance and the enjoyment of fishing with quality gear. Can I fish with lesser price tag equipment, yes, and I have. But if I can afford to buy the best I do.

Craig
Old 04-03-2013, 10:31 PM

namekagon is on a distinguished road

Problem is a $700 rod requires at least a $200 reel because a perfectly adequate 75 buck job just wouldn't look right on it.

I donno,,when it comes to fly rods/reels and firearms, especially firearms, I like the used stuff.
Maybe it's because I got a lot of hand me downs as a kid or maybe it goes a tad deeper than that.

Ain't nothing like a new truck though,,,even though I know it depreciated the moment I drove it off the lot.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

Lots of answers to my question so far but, I'm still not completely satisfied...lol.

I do a lot of fishing with spinning rods and bait casting rods. I am very picky about what rods I use. I have really liked rods in the mid-priced range but have been really pleasantly surprised by some rods that were real cheap. One 7 foot ultra-light spinning rod that is really nice is the Daiwa Spinmatic that only cost about 30 dollars. I have yet to find a 7 foot ultra light rod that is as fast as the Daiwa. I have 3 graphite rods with the model name of Renegade. They were on special for 10 to 15 dollars each. They are nicer than some 150 dollar rods I have handled.

Ok....some people have mentioned guitars. I used to have a 1956 Gibson Switchmaster. I now own an El-Degas (early 70's Japan guitar) that is worth less than 1/10 the price of the Gibson yet it plays and sounds just as good and is more versatile than the Gibson. I have a late 60's tube amp made in Italy. This company made Vox amps when the British company could no longer handle the load. I didn't pay much for the amp but I wouldn't take 1000 dollars for my amp because I know that I would have to dish out that much or more to have such a fine sounding amp. There is lots of stuff out there that is just as good as the very expensive stuff. Good stuff that does not need a lifetime guarantee because it doesn't need it. Good stuff that does not have a fancy name. Those fancy names are well known because of all the expensive advertising and sponsoring and guarantees. I have had a couple of Berkley rods replaced for free because I wrote the company and gave them a good reason to have them replaced. They did not have a lifetime guarantee but the company did see that they were flawed.

Will a 700 dollar Sage make me cast 20 feet further and more delicately than my old 100 dollar Fenwick Eagle? On top of that, my Fenwick comes in an aluminum tube so, I would have to be quite negligent to break it.

No....I am far from rich. I am barely scraping by and I have to really pick and choose when replacing anything I own. I do a lot of careful shopping but strangely enough, I never see anything concerning "best bang for the buck in fly rods".

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimloom View Post
I have a number of rods in that price range (fly and others) and I can say without a doubt it's worth it. It's not snobbery or showing off it's about performance and the enjoyment of fishing with quality gear. Can I fish with lesser price tag equipment, yes, and I have. But if I can afford to buy the best I do.

Craig
Yes....but is it really the best?[COLOR="Silver"]
Old 04-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabluz View Post
strangely enough, I never see anything concerning "best bang for the buck in fly rods
Flying pig rods are cheap for the quality and performance, I understand Allen rods are as well.

Icon

Flying Pig~Liquid Series 9' 8wt.
oarfish likes this.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:49 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Dabluz, Perhaps you are answering your own question in that you are particular about and sensitive to the performance and versatility you are seeking from your rods, guitars, etc. Your perception of quality is, as it should be, independent of purchase price. Many would concur that a Honda or Subaru is more dependable than and parts are more readily available than a far more costly and exotic Maserati. For sure there is the possibility/probability that the exotic car or Sage rod will be faster and increase your casting distance...likely though you cast far enough already. Not knowing anything about where you fish and to what degree you travel to varying habitats, none of us can ascertain what rods' specialized attributes "are worth it". From my perspective there are some very fine performing and well constructed rods available at modest cost and some premium priced rods whose taper designs I don't care for. I will say though, and this is no surprise to any of us, that the combination of superior performance, finest most advanced materials and most elegant workmanship rarely comes cheap. So, if one covets the work of an elite rod designer working in an established rod crafting shop like Sage, Loomis, Scott, T&T, Orvis, etc. it is the individuals decision, upon performing his research and comparative analysis as to the relative value of cost to craftsmanship to performance that you can discern and utilize.
oarfish and shimloom like this.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:35 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
Does the $150.00 rod cast as well as the $700.00 rod when your positioned comfortably on a small red sectional sofa though?
Darn I told my wife we should of kept the red one.
Hardyreels and fysh like this.