The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   TFO warranty (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/315555-tfo-warranty.html)

rockyfly12 04-03-2013 09:29 AM

TFO warranty

Hi all,

I'm in the hunt for a new 9' 5 wt fly rod for the season. I'm looking to spend around $225-275. Two rods that have caught my eye so far are the redington torrent and TFO BVK. The thing that interests me about the TFO is the warranty, but its kind of vague on what it covers. I've tried to search the web, but was unable to find anything. Is their warranty like Orvis'? If a rod breaks from accidentally shutting it in a door or from being stepped on will they replace it?

Thanks!

mrfzx 04-03-2013 09:55 AM

Re: TFO warranty

Very simple. Lifetime, no questions asked, $25 will get you a new rod, or a replaced section.....usually a new rod.

MoscaPescador 04-03-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrfzx (Post 543541)
Very simple. Lifetime, no questions asked, $25 will get you a new rod, or a replaced section.....usually a new rod.

Pretty much true. Of the many that I have sent back to TFO when I worked in the biz, I could count on one hand the amount of warranty claims that came back with a replaced section.

Dennis

pete a 04-03-2013 02:17 PM

I have 2 sons who fly fish. We've killed a couple with car doors and heavy feet. TFO either replaced the complete rod or tip quickly with no problems.

I forget the handling fee but the turn around time is quick. We also broke the tip on a Sage which they replaced quickly for $50.

Sage and TFO stand behind their products.

Pete A

sweetandsalt 04-03-2013 04:00 PM

Most of the brand name rod companies today feature overly generous warranties...and don't think for a moment you are not paying for them. Rod prices would be some 20+% lower if they featured a "materials and workmanship" warranty rather than "unconditional". But this anti-responsibility feature is here to stay or the rod maker can not compete. I would like to know the % rate of breakage a rod model experiences in concert with the warranty terms. Good luck getting that data from any company. Fly rods are inherently fragile as they are thin walled tubular structures that are compressing and deforming as they flex. It is a testimony to ingenuity as to how tough rods are in fishing use but are obviously no match for jamming, stabbing, pinching, crushing maneuvers. I remain confused why rod companies should be responsible for our privilege of enjoying ceiling fans, self-shutting screen doors and rear hatches on our fish-mobiles.

Buy the best rod you can find and take good care of it.

yonder 04-03-2013 04:34 PM

I have broken two TFO rods....both were positively due to my clumsiness....TFO replaced one completely, and replaced a rod section for the second, with turn around times in 5 and 7 days. No questions asked.

ted4887 04-03-2013 04:48 PM

Yep, what these guys said. I broke an 8wt BVK twice in two months last year. Sent them in and had it back within a week both times. I also broke a 6 wt BVK, and it was also replaced with a brand new rod. Two of these incidents were completely my fault and they never even asked. One of the best warranties in the business, IMO.

sweetandsalt 04-03-2013 05:12 PM

It seems that there is a lot of breakage among TFO's, BVK in particular. We have two of them, an 8-weight that has traveled to bonefishing, caught bonefish and has not broken (yet) and a #6 that has seen plenty of rugged drift boat banging around and also is still in 4-pieces. I would much rather pay their actual value of $175 or so and throw them away if I step on them in the boat and send them in for warranty only if they broke while fighting a fish. I throw out my empty single malt bottles too instead of bringing them in for refilling.

rockyfly12 04-03-2013 07:12 PM

Thanks for all the replies! I'll test the two at a local fly shop but ill go in set on the BVK. Now just one more question... Does the BVK come with a rod tube?

Joni 04-03-2013 07:26 PM

I feel ripped off, I payed $30. both times my TFO broke. Same spot. Cause, unknown.