The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 09:29 AM

rockyfly12 is on a distinguished road
Default TFO warranty

Hi all,

I'm in the hunt for a new 9' 5 wt fly rod for the season. I'm looking to spend around $225-275. Two rods that have caught my eye so far are the redington torrent and TFO BVK. The thing that interests me about the TFO is the warranty, but its kind of vague on what it covers. I've tried to search the web, but was unable to find anything. Is their warranty like Orvis'? If a rod breaks from accidentally shutting it in a door or from being stepped on will they replace it?

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:55 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: TFO warranty

Very simple. Lifetime, no questions asked, $25 will get you a new rod, or a replaced section.....usually a new rod.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:40 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
Very simple. Lifetime, no questions asked, $25 will get you a new rod, or a replaced section.....usually a new rod.
Pretty much true. Of the many that I have sent back to TFO when I worked in the biz, I could count on one hand the amount of warranty claims that came back with a replaced section.

Dennis
Old 04-03-2013, 02:17 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I have 2 sons who fly fish. We've killed a couple with car doors and heavy feet. TFO either replaced the complete rod or tip quickly with no problems.

I forget the handling fee but the turn around time is quick. We also broke the tip on a Sage which they replaced quickly for $50.

Sage and TFO stand behind their products.

Pete A
Old 04-03-2013, 04:00 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Most of the brand name rod companies today feature overly generous warranties...and don't think for a moment you are not paying for them. Rod prices would be some 20+% lower if they featured a "materials and workmanship" warranty rather than "unconditional". But this anti-responsibility feature is here to stay or the rod maker can not compete. I would like to know the % rate of breakage a rod model experiences in concert with the warranty terms. Good luck getting that data from any company. Fly rods are inherently fragile as they are thin walled tubular structures that are compressing and deforming as they flex. It is a testimony to ingenuity as to how tough rods are in fishing use but are obviously no match for jamming, stabbing, pinching, crushing maneuvers. I remain confused why rod companies should be responsible for our privilege of enjoying ceiling fans, self-shutting screen doors and rear hatches on our fish-mobiles.

Buy the best rod you can find and take good care of it.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:34 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I have broken two TFO rods....both were positively due to my clumsiness....TFO replaced one completely, and replaced a rod section for the second, with turn around times in 5 and 7 days. No questions asked.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 04-03-2013, 04:48 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Yep, what these guys said. I broke an 8wt BVK twice in two months last year. Sent them in and had it back within a week both times. I also broke a 6 wt BVK, and it was also replaced with a brand new rod. Two of these incidents were completely my fault and they never even asked. One of the best warranties in the business, IMO.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:12 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

It seems that there is a lot of breakage among TFO's, BVK in particular. We have two of them, an 8-weight that has traveled to bonefishing, caught bonefish and has not broken (yet) and a #6 that has seen plenty of rugged drift boat banging around and also is still in 4-pieces. I would much rather pay their actual value of $175 or so and throw them away if I step on them in the boat and send them in for warranty only if they broke while fighting a fish. I throw out my empty single malt bottles too instead of bringing them in for refilling.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:12 PM

rockyfly12 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the replies! I'll test the two at a local fly shop but ill go in set on the BVK. Now just one more question... Does the BVK come with a rod tube?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I feel ripped off, I payed $30. both times my TFO broke. Same spot. Cause, unknown.