The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 01:13 PM

jastrout is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Icon

Problem solved buy both! Thanks Joni exactly the info I needed as I am a Winston owner. Still sell furled leaders?
Old 04-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely! Gets really crazy some times.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:04 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Very nice rod - CONGRATULATIONS The finsish looks similar to the Hardy Sintrix rods.

THORSTEN
Old 05-18-2013, 07:56 AM

hookworm is on a distinguished road

Received my 4wt with a trout reel and line. Very impressed with everything, the rods fit and finish is very nice and from casting in the yard is smooth and fast. I have owned Allen reels since they first came out and and each time I got a new one they are more impressive each time, this new one blew me away the quality for the money. I'll give an actual fishing test report once the rivers clear up.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:50 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

A big round of applause to the fine folks at Allen bringing rod making operations to America! Though many terrific rods are designed here but fabricated elsewhere, there is often something more than subtly special about rods built by fly fisherpersons for fly fishers. I too look forward to casting Icon. As an aside; none less than G.Loomis on GLX and NRX and Hardy on Zenith employ single foot guides for light weight enhancement of their rods flexural profiles without reliability issues.
caseywise likes this.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

The builders of these rods are such down to earth people. You should see the Boo they make ;-)
fysh likes this.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:44 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Joni, So this is an existing not a new start-up rod shop that has previously built graphite rods and cane as well?
Old 05-19-2013, 06:47 PM

It is a couple (husband and wife). He was a custom rod builder specializing in Bamboo out of Pocatello. They moved to Heber and the rest is history.
fysh likes this.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:31 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Joni, you are saying Allen does custom rods also ?

I've ordered other things from them and been MORE than happy. Maybe one day a rod. The ATS series of trout rods are beautiful sticks from the pictures I've seen.

Michael
Old 05-19-2013, 07:43 PM

So to speak he does. I did a report on the Icon on another forum. I mentioned the single foot guides which one person came back with he did not care for them. Justin then
jumped in with they can make it the way he wanted it, so I guess they can to some degree.