The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Icon

I wanted to give a review. I am a big fan of Allen Fly Fishing rods and reels (hooks too).
Although being made over seas, like many of the other companies out there, they are still under watch and made to the specs of the USA market.
I have several of the reels and the AST and Compass rods. The Compass rod is a very smooth medium action rod and priced perfect for that second/back up rod or for the beginner. But offers great feel and performance.

Saturday, I received the ICON. It is USA made right here in Heber, Utah.

Click the image to open in full size.

Beautiful Silvery Green with dark Olive wraps and "Single Foot Guides"

Light weight, and excellent balance. I got the 10' four weight and it is so perfect with the Trout II reel.
A faster flex but just enough give in the tip that I found I was doing longer roll cast with little effort.
I have owned many high end rods and I find myself putting this in that class. All high end quality's for a price under $450.

If you can get a chance to cast one of these rods I think you will find it to be a pleasure and everything a fly rod should be.
fysh, thorsten and jeepster II like this.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Icon

Joni: The ICON looks like a very nicely built fly rod, thanks for the review!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:04 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I'm looking forward to trying them at the SE/FFF festival in May.
Good people them Allen folks.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:08 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Great pictures Joni! The last one is amazing, just put it in the water and fish come too it How did you get that shot, just let go and snap?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:24 AM

jastrout is on a distinguished road

Joni Thanks for post as I stopped at their booth in Somerset and was impressed with their passion. Sorry I did not cast their products but casting pond was a zoo. Can you comment on the Ion actions and even the ATS to comparable rods in another line? I know it is a tough to do but the opportunity to test cast an Ion /ATS will be difficult in Central Pa. Being a small business myself I am all for companies like Allen. Will say the Ion is one pretty stick.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:15 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

I really wish they would put double foot snakes guide on their rods. Single foot guides was the reason i sold my Xa. They're just to flimsy in my opinion.

Addicted To Vise
Old 04-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice rod Joni...looks like trout love it too...first time I see a trout hugging a rod
allenflyfishing likes this.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
I really wish they would put double foot snakes guide on their rods. Single foot guides was the reason i sold my Xa. They're just to flimsy in my opinion.
Fontinalis, We can put snake guides on the Icon if you prefer.

Thanks
noreaster likes this.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I finally got to try out my new Allen XA 10' 4wt.... very impressed. This is my first Allen rod, and I can see why some many guys/gals on this forum use Allen gear. The rod was impressive to fish, but when you consider the price of the rod, it becomes even more impressive. Thanks for great products at a great price.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 04-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jastrout View Post
Joni Thanks for post as I stopped at their booth in Somerset and was impressed with their passion. Sorry I did not cast their products but casting pond was a zoo. Can you comment on the Ion actions and even the ATS to comparable rods in another line? I know it is a tough to do but the opportunity to test cast an Ion /ATS will be difficult in Central Pa. Being a small business myself I am all for companies like Allen. Will say the Ion is one pretty stick.
To give an idea of the action, but understand there are differences, but if I were to fish my BIIx I would be inclined to take the Icon for a back up. If I were to fish my JWF, the AST would be the back up.