The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 10:03 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default OK, don't laugh,,,

Today ,,,I received my 32 dollar glass Eagle Claw,,I had ordered,,if for not other reason than nostalgia. A yellow Eagle Claw was the first thing I ever bought with my own money I earned working. I guess I was about 12,,and had helped put up hay. Got a few dollars and wanted a fly rod.

It's rated for a 5/6 line,,and I put a reel with 5wt WF on it and yard cast some this evening. The rod is not that bad,,pretty decent,,I'd rate it myself as about a mid'flex.

Even thought it's not hi tech glass,,and it's a cheap rod,,,it's still not ugly either. The cork is very decent,,the rod is straight. I'm a weird creature anyways, I can see myself fishing with this a good bit,,to prove to me again and again,,that it's ME that catches fish,,, more-so than the equipment. But, I do love equipment,,,go figure !

In any event, it's been a blast playing with the mighty 32 dollar Eagle Claw this evening !

Michael
Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 PM

joebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: OK, don't laugh,,,

Nice... someone just commented on my Lamson Radius/ Fenwick F7705 outfit as being "highbrow/lowbrow" -
Old 04-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I don't think there'll be much laughter, lots of people fish the little Eagle Claw glass rods. It seems that we have a bit of a complex about the price of rods equating into their usefulness.

The rod with these 2 fish (and it caught at least 100) is a 48 dollar Quarrow 9' seven weight.
Click the image to open in full size.

The smaller fish is a 14.25 pound Silver Salmon, when I walked back to my camp carrying them I met 2 other fishermen, no one looked at my rod.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-04-2013, 12:06 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post

The smaller fish is a 14.25 pound Silver Salmon, when I walked back to my camp carrying them I met 2 other fishermen, no one looked at my rod.

Ard

Ard
Nice when the smaller fish is over 14lbs! Gives me an idea for a contest to see who can catch a fish where the number of lbs is closest to the number of dollars spent on the rod. No gift rods allowed.
Rip Tide and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:28 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

This should be easier for me to do. I have giant fish here so, Tougher to do if you fish trout.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:49 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah my best bet would be to find a yard sale rod and go for bass, but I think you won.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Why should we laugh...?You like the rod...so have fun with itLike Ard I'm also a Quarrow fan,mine was far more expensive than his,$50
Old 04-04-2013, 05:04 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

"Glass is Class."

I've lost count, or stopped counting may be a better way of putting same, on the number of 2handers I've got. That said, what gets put on the Jeeps rod rack first?

A 11' 6/7 glass 'switch rod.' This is the 'One' that folks ask 'Can I cast that,' and I have to ask them to hand it back. (Yesterday as an example.) Rod's lined with a Steve Godshall custom cut Scandi head and just the lightest of touches put out out to 70 - 80 feet. Larger/heavier flies a bit more 'umph' into the cast.

Pure magic to have that rod in your hands.
fae
Old 04-04-2013, 05:12 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Ard is right. Very few times has anyone asked to see my rod/reel. If it's a 50 dollar rod and works well for you, then it's priceless. I personally don't buy high end stuff coz that's how I am. My switch is an 11 foot 5/6 Wild River(107.00) and the reel is an Okuma Integrity A (45 bucks). Works well for me. I'm satisfied. That's what counts.
Guest1, fredaevans and thorsten like this.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
I'm satisfied. That's what counts.
Something unfortunately missed by to many people.
fredaevans and thorsten like this.