The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 07:57 PM

wildabouttrout is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Custom Sage Eddie Bauer Limited Edition LL 590-3

Thanks again for the interesting comments, particularly the branding opinions. It sounds like it might be closer to a "Sage fly rod for Bauer" rather than a "Sage blank turned into a Bauer fly rod"...? Getting a little closer to my origional curiosity which is warranty by Sage on a rod, or on a blank...?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:19 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh, back when Eddie Bauer was a real outdoor store. I loved it back in the day. I got my first Gore Tex shell from Eddie Bauer. I didn't know that they had fly rods, maybe they were available in select stores?

Ard, those A&F branded Hardys go for a pretty penny on the auction site. I've seen Featherweights or Flyweights go for $500+. They're not for me either, I don't much care about the A&F Branding, but am not fond of silent check.

If you are running into warranty issues, you will likely have to pay for repair or pay to be upgraded if they cannot repair/replace a section or two. I bought a 489-5 SLT that they told me they cannot make a new section for. This was before the Circa though so I'm not sure if that changes anything or not.

Here's Sages Warranty policy:

Warranty - About Sage | Sage Fly Fishing

The Sage Lifetime Warranty

Every new Sage rod, blank and Sage series reel is covered by our lifetime, original owner warranty.

This warranty is limited to repair and replacement of the rod, blank or reel and does not cover direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or any other type of damage resulting from the use of the product. This warranty does not cover fire, theft, loss, intentional breakage, modification or customization of the finished rod, or damage during the assembly of a blank into a finished rod. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that vary from state to state.

Sage reserves the right to determine whether to repair or replace any Sage Product covered by this warranty and the right to replace any discontinued models with comparable models when necessary. Colors and components may vary between original and replacement parts.

The lifetime, original owner warranty applies to rods with a serial # beginning with the letter "M" and higher, including all double letters (i.e. AA, AB, AC). Rods with serial #'s beginning with the single letters "A - L" (generally manufactured prior to 1995); have an original owner lifetime guarantee against any defect in materials or workmanship. Any of these series of rods that fail due to misuse, negligence or normal wear-and-tear will be repaired or replaced at a reasonable cost. The serial # may be found on the rod directly opposite the Sage logo.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:01 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

Here is my experience with Sage's warrenty.Three years ago I broke the tip section of my 890-4 RPL,a rod I had built 20+ years before.I sent it back to Sage and they matched it up with a new blank tip and sent it back within 2 or 3 weeks.I think the whole thing cost me $45 or so.As long as a blank is not marked as a blem,it gets full warrenty.Mine had no writing on it as I removed it when I built it but I explained to Sage that it was not a blem and everything was fine.Great people to deal with and they still had a tip for an RPL.A friend did the same thing to his 2pc RPL after mine broke and he had the same experience.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:14 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
And Richard, let's not forget all those Hardy Featherweights along with a spattering of other models that bear the Made For Abercrombie & Fitch along with the old Alnwick scripts Honestly, as I've ran across these reels over the years, their bearing that A&F on the backplates tended to turn me away from purchasing them.

Just me there,

Ard
I've got one of those -- my dad's old 2-screw line guard Featherweight silent check that is still paired with his Orvis Battenkill cane rod bought at the same time.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:27 PM

beartraks is on a distinguished road

I own several of them- I worked for the company when the liquidation of the fly shops occurred (very sad) and did take advantage of the close out pricing on some very nice gear and tackle. If i recall, some may have been simply Eddie Bauer editions for which if so- Sage should be able to honor as their own warranty, and if truly custom as wildabouttrout mentioned below- they should bear a signature from the custom maker. The two I own were made by Gary Anderson of Anderson Custom Rods andersoncustomrods.com and you can tell by the gold or silver wire trim you be uses on the thread wraps. He offers a lifetime guarantee on the rod with a fee for the shipping, of which I had to take advantage of upon an errant car door on one.
In the mid-90,s when these were last sold- pricing was in the $450-$600+ range so definitely higher end than your standard Sage production rods.
I am about to take mine out this weekend on the Norfork after they have lied dormant for at least a decade as I let life get too busy to fish (I know- what a shame) but hey- I am getting out now! Hope this helps verify what you recall from the Eddie Bauer Sport Shop...
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 PM

beartraks is on a distinguished road

So after taking it out, there is no signature, but if it says Eddie Bauer Limited Edition, then Gary made it.

Check out his site and send him a note with the serial number if you want to be sure.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:07 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
I've got one of those -- my dad's old 2-screw line guard Featherweight silent check that is still paired with his Orvis Battenkill cane rod bought at the same time.
Click the image to open in full size.

Please don't take what I said as a negative on the reels. They are every bit as good as any other Hardy ever built, I was concerned for resale value on them. At one time I bought reels and after holding long enough for them to appreciate, would resell them.

This Hijack has ended, we can now return to topic

Ard
moucheur2003 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-19-2013, 06:53 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post

Please don't take what I said as a negative on the reels. They are every bit as good as any other Hardy ever built, I was concerned for resale value on them. At one time I bought reels and after holding long enough for them to appreciate, would resell them.

This Hijack has ended, we can now return to topic

Ard
No worries. I'm hanging onto it for its sentimental value, not for investment. It was my dad's and it has always been paired with the Battenkill rod. (I wonder who can service the felt caliper brake at a reasonable cost, though. Eventually that felt pad will need to be replaced. Don't know whether the new Hardy USA organization is set up to do that.)
Old 04-19-2013, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the replies,

After some research and a few inquiries I have answers to the origin of the rod and some history (as Beartraks has suggested- thanks much): This particular rod, a "Custom Sage LL 590-3 "Eddie Bauer Limited Edition" had it's origin as a blank from the Sage factory and built by Gary Anderson of Anderson Custom Rods, from my knowledge an extremely well respected rod maker. Im sure others will agree.

Gary Anderson has confirmed that the rods origionated from his shop and has offered to give me more history on these rods first chance he gets. He has also offered warranty work as part of his connection to the rod, Sage confirmed warranty of the blank. I am looking forward to connecting with Gary Anderson to hear his insight into the Sage/ACR/Bauer rod and get his thoughts on rarity and what makes these rods special as a "Limited Edition".

Thanks again for the interest.

Last edited by wildabouttrout; 04-19-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:58 PM

For those interested, I had a conversation with Gary Anderson of ACR- Anderson Custom Rods- last week regarding the Sage/Eddie Bauer rods which he was contracted to produce in quantity for sale in Bauer retail stores in the early 90's (he also did RPL's). If you've seen these rods you notice they are not marked with a "B" for blank, rather say "Custom Sage" with the factory logo.

You will also notice the details are finer than the Sage factory rods. Gary told me that the upgraded hardware and finer craftsmanship are what made these rods special. He was unsure of the numbers he produced because the records were destroyed in a fire in his shop. The rods were produced for five years before being discontinued.

Having spoke to Gary directly and learning about his company Im liking the rod a whole lot more, and relieved its not a homespun rod by a local builder. I think it's the real deal. Occasionally one comes up on an online auction so you can see for yourself. Any problems with the rod Gary said "send it".

Thanks for all the info and feedback.
imxer and jaybo41 like this.