The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 05:16 PM

wildabouttrout is on a distinguished road
Default Custom Sage Eddie Bauer Limited Edition LL 590-3

There must be someone out there who knows something about "Custom Sage, Eddie Bauer Limited Edition" Rods...???

I recently purchased such a rod; a Light Line series GFL 111 590-3. I've seen similarly labeled rods on ebay but strangely found no info online. The Sage rep was unable to help me. The decal/silksceen on the rod is in the sage factory motif but says "Custom Sage". The model and series is hand scripted including a serial#, but no "B" for blank is designated...?

Thanks for any info on its origin, fishability, and its possible value.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Custom Sage Eddie Bauer Limited Edition LL 590-3

Hi,

Most of the Special or Limited issue rods are of the most value to the owners who enjoy fishing them. Unless there is something really special about about a rod they seldom gain value with age, there are however exceptions.

As for fishability, I would guess it to be a fine fishing rod. I have a bunch of rods ranging in age from 1950's to a brand new hardy Spey, all of them regardless of original cost make fine rods to fish with.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-06-2013, 11:53 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

it's a Sage III... sell for bout $250-300 via online auctions
Old 04-07-2013, 12:58 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I got to wondering if Sag was around before Eddie Bauer was bought by Spiegel. Spiegel, the big catalog/clothing store turned EB's from a real, authentic outfitting store of exceptional products into just another clothing store of imported clothes priced as if it wasn't cheapened and imported.
You won't find fine split bamboo fly rods at any Eddie Bauer store these days for sure but I wonder if they ever had a Sag in the rod racks at Eddie Bauer next to the split cane rods at one time.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:09 AM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

About 15 years ago the Eddie Bauer store where I lived got rid of all their rods and some other gear.They had 2 Sage RPL rods left,both marked "custom made for Eddie Bauer by Sage"and both rods,a 4wt and a 6wt,were 4 pc rods.I was planning on buying both rods when I got back from a trip.You know the rest of the story,they were gone.I still kick myself for not buying them when I had the chance.As I remember these rods had nicer reel seats and hardware than stock Sage rods of the time,maybe gold colored.Both rods were beautiful.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:23 AM

wildabouttrout is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Custom Sage Eddie Bauer Limited Edition LL 590-3

Thanks all for your comments.

Yes, based on the logo and absence of the "B" for blank, I suspect this rod was actually "finished" as a custom rod by Sage and sold by EB in their store. Therefore, the rod would have been "customized" at the factory and not have been done by an outside "custom" rod maker ...? This would change everything with regards to warranty and possibly value since Sage would backup any problems or reconditioning if this was the case. Could it make it more desirable paricularly since it is a Light Line series rod???

I did find a few comments on some old online discussion threads that hint that these were very expensive rods made by Sage (above the price of the factory production rods)...? I also sent an inquiry to Sage customer service and am waiting to hear back. I'm going to try and post a picture of the logo to see if this helps in the ID and sparks anyone's memory.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:39 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Another price point:

Sage Custom Eddie Bauer Limited Edition, Graphite III fly rod. 9' 0" #5 line, 590-3 LL
Old 04-07-2013, 09:33 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

When I was a kid Land's End, Eddie Bauer and LL Bean were similar companies, specializing in outdoor outfitting gear by mail order catalog. Then they all expanded their clothing business in the 1980's, but of the 3 only Bean continued to keep its outfitting business seriously viable.

I remember maybe 10-20 years ago Eddie Bauer went through a brief stage where they tried to revive their mail-order outdoor sports outfitting business along the lines of LL Bean or Orvis. I was pretty surprised when an Eddie Bauer fly-fishing catalog showed up in the mail one day. (Probably some marketing genius in HQ saw "the movie" and thought he smelled opportunity.) I am guessing there must have been a custom batch run of Bauer-branded Sage LL's produced for that effort. Apparently it wasn't successful because it didn't last very long. If you go to their website today, they have a sports department but it only has a few fanny packs and hats and such.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:30 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I actually had an Eddie Bauer goose down slepping bag at one point some time back. When the old company attempted to expand into company owned retail stores they did indeed, in select locations, feature a fly fishing department. The Sage rods they sold where made by Sage in exactly the same models for Bauer...mostly RPL's. This drove Orvis crazy! Like most carbon rods, these are not "collectible" unless you are a Bauer fanatic (they did make the best chamois shirts) but where, like the Sage rods of that day, the most advanced rods of their time. If you think this branding connection is weird, think about Abercrombie & Fitch...my daughter wears some of their hip logo clothing and all I can think about is (real) elephant foot waste paper baskets (eh gad) next to Abercrombie branded Payne rods and wedding cake Fin-Nors.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

And Richard, let's not forget all those Hardy Featherweights along with a spattering of other models that bear the Made For Abercrombie & Fitch along with the old Alnwick scripts Honestly, as I've ran across these reels over the years, their bearing that A&F on the backplates tended to turn me away from purchasing them.

Just me there,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;