The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By caseywise
  • 1 Post By mrfzx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 09:17 PM

troutonthefly will become famous soon enough
Default Deciding on a New 4wt Rod

Hello, first time poster, I apologize if it is in the incorrect forum .
I am looking into a new 4wt rod that would be around $200-$250.
I was looking at the Echo Carbon, St.Croix Imperial, Orvis Clearwater and TFO Signature series. The reel will be an Orvis Encounter LAII.
I currently have a Dogwood Canyon 6wt from Basspro shops and I am looking for a better quality outfit.
Just wondering if someone with a little more experience with any of these rods could give me some input on what they think. I will be mainly fishing for trout in the Credit and Grand river in Ontario, just to give some detail on what type of fishing ill be doing.
Any input will help.
Thanks.

Last edited by troutonthefly; 04-07-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:06 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Deciding on a New 4wt Rod

first, welcome to the forum
i would take a hard look at allens ats rods.
ATS Rod Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store
hope this helps

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 04-09-2013, 09:27 AM

troutonthefly will become famous soon enough

Thanks Casey!
The Allen ATS do look wonderful, I really like the maple reel seat. They look well made and a good quality rod.
This is making my decision a little harder now.
I appreciate your input and right now I am kind of leaning toward the Allen because of its look and from the good reviews i've read about it online.
Once again thanks
Brad
Old 04-09-2013, 10:37 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

The rods you mentioned in your post all have different taper profiles. Some are definitely faster than others. We all have our own preferences according to what we like. You are not us, please, find a dealer and test cast some rods.
mikel likes this.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:44 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

+1 for St Croix Imperial...I have the 7'6" 4wt and it's a great little rod... love it.. roll casts like a dream too... only problem is the reel seat is a little tight... and can make finding a reel that fits in there snug... I had to file down my reel foot to make it fit comfortably... if you buy a machined reel you should be fine... but a cast reel like the SLV.. you'll have issues

I've also heard that though St Croix usually sends their Imperial blanks to Mexico to be assembled that they have been being assembled in Park Falls, WI due to lack of work to be sent to Mexico... Not sure if this is true... But I've heard it from a couple different people from shop owners to average joes... maybe someone here can clear up this rumor
Old 04-09-2013, 12:07 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Imperial

My Imperial says "USA" just above the serial number.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:16 PM

highjumper is on a distinguished road

Perhaps the bump in price is meaningful to you, but I would consider finding a used Winston biix or biit. They can be found in the $300 range and are great for smaller rod weights.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:00 AM

njfly is on a distinguished road

I think there are some Winston GVX's still floating out there on MRFC.com. They are a little under 300 and i love mine. I may like it more than my higher end winstons.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:08 PM

cvfd02 is on a distinguished road

I have a St Croix Avid 7' 6" 4wt and i absolutely love it.