The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kglissmeyer1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 06:38 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Sage Replacement Tip: Performance Question

Hello folks,

Last fall I broke the tip on my Sage RPL Graphite III rod. It is a 5wt. and is 7 foot 6.
I remember the rod being what seemed to me to be a fast medium. After I got the tip back, and upon closer inspection, it seems they have used their Kinnetic technology and now the rod towards the tip is quite a bit stiffer than I remember. I was using the GPX master textured 5 wt. line before the break.

Cast the newly tipped rod in the back yard and it was an epic fail. The rod had real trouble loading and shooting the line.

For sh#ts and giggles I tried casting a Cortland 6 wt. line that was like 30 years old. Surprisingly it threw the line pretty well. It seems the rod can handle a much heavier line than before. Comparing the GPX line and the Cortland fossil that seemed to work well, there is quite a gap and the Cortland looked huge and bulky while the GPX looked light and wispy.

Can anyone accurately tell what is going on. My guess is that the new tech and stiffer tip have moved the rod's line weight up but I have no real idea. Is there a line that I should be thinking about instead of the 5 wt.?

Thanks for your insights.
phil

Last edited by noreaster; 04-09-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:23 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage Replacement Tip: Performance Question

Same problem happened with my RPL years ago when I broke the tip. Fortunately (I think...) my son broke the entire rod in a door and they replaced the whole thing that time and it performs like the original. Different batches, different lots, different production, who knows?

Once you refurbish the old vehicle it never is the same as the original

Kelly.

P.S.: I now use a 6Wt WF Floating line on my 5Wt RPL and it casts like a dream, or at least it did until I broke the tip off it last spring (sigh...)
noreaster likes this.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:01 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

Interestingly a GPX is a 5.5 weight and Cortland's lines tend toward being at the light end of normal. Can't speak to your fossil of course. No way Sage has original RPL blanks after all this time and I am not surprised the rod feels different. It's a shame to loose a dear old rod like that though. You might ask Sage what they replaced it with. How did it break?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:15 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
No way Sage has original RPL blanks after all this time and I am not surprised the rod feels different. It's a shame to loose a dear old rod like that though. You might ask Sage what they replaced it with. How did it break?
Yeah I'm sure it's a different blank. When you catch it in the sunlight you can see more of a matrix or honeycomb look to the graphite as opposed to the strictly circular look of the vintage graphite.

on the break, I'm afraid it was my fault I was just pulling the leader out from the end of the rod in anticipation of wetting the line and snap right in my hand. I didn't think I was being abusive or overly rough but it was enough. There may have been a weak spot on it from a previous tap on a hard surface. But not sure.

thanks for your insight.