The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 06:51 PM

fishingtaco is on a distinguished road
Default 6wt or 7wt

Hello first time posting so please bare with me, I am looking for a new rod and reel in either a 6 or a 7, I live in nh and I normally fish for bass and maybe sometimes trout in a pond. So my question is should I get a 7wt to be able to throw bigger flies and would that be good for trout also? Or would a 6wt be better. I have done a ton of research online and everything says 7 and then it says 6. Sorry if this has been asked before and probably many times.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:15 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 6wt or 7wt

do you own a fly rod already? if not a 6 is a good general purpose first outfit. if you already have something lighter 7 could be fine for bigger flies fish etc.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:19 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

first off, welcome taco
a six we be a good fit for both bass and trout.
i would recommend a 9 footer.

casey
fredaevans likes this.

ARFE
Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 PM

fishingtaco is on a distinguished road

Thank you I have been checking out all the different threads for a few months just never posted anything, currently I do own a fly rod it's just a beginner fly rod scientific angler, 6wt 9ft. It served me well for the past few years but now I want something better. Looking at a tfo pro series rod. I think most of the time I will be fishing for bass out of my kayak but there are some trout ponds and we camp in the mountains so I will be doing some trout fishing. I was thinking the 7 for throwing better flies and also with the wind. I live about 40 seconds from a lake up hear. Just want to make sure i get the best bang for my buck, rather get something that will serve me for everything. I don't think I will be catching huge bass but I have caught some good size with my spinning reel.

Last edited by fishingtaco; 04-09-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:14 AM

kuch is on a distinguished road

I agree with the other post that the 6wt will work best for both trout and bass combined. I use a Scott S4 7wt exclusively for bass and also some steelhead but I had no intentions of fishing trout with it. The 6wt is the best choice for your circumstances.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:19 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the '6 calls' above. At a 7 you're now into light Steelhead fishing.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:43 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I tend to respectfully disagree with many.

First don't like the idea of a "general purpose" rod. Might consider both, buy 2 rods (5 & 7), 1 reel, 2 spools. TFO lower ends rods are really good bargains. Buy a "cheap" reel, I mean $30-40 (look used) as neither of your listed quarry are "drag burners", and you can save your pennies while still fishing for name reels down the line.

I fish for bass most of the year and find a 6wt will leave you wanting. Bass like a mouth full, hair bugs, medium poppers, flashy large streamers and Clousers all will tax a 6wt. Toss in a bit of wind, snags (always where bass lurk) and just it gets worse. 7wt gets a bum rap however a med/fast but not too fast 7 is very versatile . You won't be too "overgunned" for trout but right in there for bass, steelhead and light salt.

The more I fish differing waters I find the 6wt to be the "odd man out", too heavy for tight streams and small flies, too small for most bass/steelhead. 5wt seems to fit the general trout rod with next step starting at 7wt.

My 1.87 cents.

Pete A.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 AM

kuch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete a View Post
I tend to respectfully disagree with many.

First don't like the idea of a "general purpose" rod. Might consider both, buy 2 rods (5 & 7), 1 reel, 2 spools. TFO lower ends rods are really good bargains. Buy a "cheap" reel, I mean $30-40 (look used) as neither of your listed quarry are "drag burners", and you can save your pennies while still fishing for name reels down the line.

I fish for bass most of the year and find a 6wt will leave you wanting. Bass like a mouth full, hair bugs, medium poppers, flashy large streamers and Clousers all will tax a 6wt. Toss in a bit of wind, snags (always where bass lurk) and just it gets worse. 7wt gets a bum rap however a med/fast but not too fast 7 is very versatile . You won't be too "overgunned" for trout but right in there for bass, steelhead and light salt.

The more I fish differing waters I find the 6wt to be the "odd man out", too heavy for tight streams and small flies, too small for most bass/steelhead. 5wt seems to fit the general trout rod with next step starting at 7wt.

My 1.87 cents.

Pete A.
Some good points. My 7wt definitely is overgunned for trout but it is a very powerful 7wt. I still think in this instance the 6wt is the right call. Trout on a 7 isn't much fun.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:19 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

My money is on the 7wt. I'd rather be overgunned than undergunned.
I recently bought a 7wt rod Z brand while I was waiting for the 7wt line to come in the mail. I put my Rio Gold 5wt line from my 5wt rod on the 7wt rod, just to play around. I never underline or overline before and to my beginner surprise.
The 7wt Z brand, cast the 5wt line delicately in short and longer distance and with precision and with more to offer when needed. Next, I put an 8wt line (overlined it) no problem. Even better. But different rod brands will act differently to under/overlining.
I just think that the 7wt is more versatile than the 6wt, specially if you fish bass more than trout. and yes 7wt is over kill for small trouts.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:50 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

Will add a different perspective. Started with a 7wt. , and migrated south.

Today I most often fish a 3, and will rarely fish more than a 5.

My largest bass, was brought home on a 4wt rod 3 wt line.