The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 10:14 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Straight rod anyone ?

Do any of you,,have a rod that is not perfectly 'straight' but still cast great ? I have one,,it irk'ed me to begin with,,thought about sending it back,,but it cast as good as I can cast.

It's not curved a mile but it IS noticeable. Then again, maybe it's my 'shooters eye' being overly critical.

Do ya'll send'em right back or give'em a try if the tip is slightly slanted to one side or the other.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:38 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Straight rod anyone ?

I had one like that.

It looked like the blank had a slight bend to the side in it just above one of the ferrules.

I took it back to the shop where I bought it and exchanged it.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:38 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
Do any of you,,have a rod that is not perfectly 'straight' but still cast great ? I have one,,it irk'ed me to begin with,,thought about sending it back,,but it cast as good as I can cast.

It's not curved a mile but it IS noticeable. Then again, maybe it's my 'shooters eye' being overly critical.

Do ya'll send'em right back or give'em a try if the tip is slightly slanted to one side or the other.
Good question. Almost all of my rods have very slight or mild deviations here or there of a degree or two. Mind you I'm not shooting Zenith's or Helios's.
My St.Croix's seem to be pretty true.

I was wondering what percentage of the rods fished here are geometrically "true"? Are deviations ever put in place on purpose? Like camber on a Nascar wheel?
Where's Diver Dan? , He would know
Old 04-10-2013, 04:36 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Now you guys know why some rod manufacturers do not spline the separate blank sections, but just find align the sections so they form the straightest blank, before putting on the guides.

Your "crooked" rod cast straight because it was splined so the sections would not twist during the cast. Each section of a fly rod fan have a very slight bend to it and that bend does not line up with the spline (the stiffest side of the blank). So if the stiffest sides of all the sections are line up, the rod can have a curve but it will cast true.
littledavid123 likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy