The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 05:00 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Bamboo repair

Recently I have been bitten badly by the Bamboo bug and have acquired a few rods. Out of all the ones, my Granger 8040 feels like it was made for my casting stroke. Unfortunately, this past week-end I noticed that the final ferrule has developed a slight clicking sound, which I believe comes from worn ferrules. Does anyone know of a temporary fix to this problem in Bamboo rods?
Also would love it if anyone can recommend a bamboo rod builder close to Cincinnati, Ohio who can offer a permanent fix to this malady.

I know off a couple of builders across the country who can repair Grangers but I hate having to ship the rod.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Bamboo repair

Our member 'wtbash' is building some pretty nice rods from scratch. He can replace ferrules for you. The problem will be in matching the old silks on a granger. If you go with new joints some searching on the classic rod forum may help you to source the silk to match the rod.

If you've ever dressed any rod guides you can do the replacement ferrules yourself also. I would remove the existing ferrules and send them to the perspective supplier for a perfect match up of size.

Temporary fix = try waxing the ferrule with plain paraffin like a candle. Rub the male well with it and put them together. If they give trouble when you go to separate them a little heat will pop em lose.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-10-2013, 07:47 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Ard, I figured that you would probably be the one to respond first since you have posted several times here how much you also enjoy fishing cane..

I will try the wax trick for now..
Old 04-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I had an old South Bend 9' 7/8 back in the late 70's that became loose to the point the mid section would twist out of line with the butt while you were fishing. Wax would keep it tight for awhile but on warm days not so well. I removed the ferrules and replaced them. There was a rod supply house in my area and you could get a pair of Super Z ferrules there.

Be advised that ferrules are expensive, way back then they were high. I have not priced them for years.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-11-2013, 07:17 AM

flyrod10 is on a distinguished road

If you have access to a lathe chuck, you can squeeze the female ferrule and tighten up the fit. Another method although temporary is to dip or spray the male ferrule with lacquer, as it starts to dry, assemble and disassemble it quickly.

Last edited by flyrod10; 04-11-2013 at 07:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-11-2013, 07:30 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
Also would love it if anyone can recommend a bamboo rod builder close to Cincinnati, Ohio who can offer a permanent fix to this malady.
Any fly shop or even a good general tackle shop should be able to recommend a local expert that can help you out.