The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 12:33 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help a newb pick a couple of outfits

I think the normal Clearwater package comes with the Clearwater reel which is an $80 cast aluminum reel. The Access is pricier (more like $160) and is machined. Don't know how much of a difference the reel will make for you trout fishing as long as neither catch line between the spool and frame and are reasonably durable.

I'm guessing both the Sage and the Orvis packages will work just fine for you. It might come down to casting style (which you might not be able to determine at this point) and aesthetics, both of which are personal decisions. See if you can test cast them both, and use that and which shop you prefer to make the decision. It's fun to think about gear but it can also be easy to over think the decision. I think you're choosing between two solid options.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 AM

BigJim2x has a spectacular aura aboutBigJim2x has a spectacular aura about

If you like the St Croix (I do) I would go with that and buy a reel and line from one of the shops you've been frequenting. That way you have a good intro rod and a shop that still is involved as they will support your reel and line purchase and consider you a valued customer.

Jim
Old 04-11-2013, 12:23 PM

highjumper is on a distinguished road

I suppose I have a different approach. I would find a used, high-end rod on eBay and give it a whirl. For $200-$300 you can get a very nice Winston, Sage or Scott rod. A lot of fishermen think the warranty on a new rod is a great thing, but very few rods break. Even then, the major rod companies will usually fix a broken rod even without a warranty. The truth is, there is no perfect rod action, so choose a popular one and see if you like it. If not, resell it and get another. Buying a cheaper rod can affect performance, and you won't know if it is you or the rod, whereas with a high-end rod you know it is you!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:07 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged View Post
What people might have missed, Is whether or not Mr. Jimp knows it yet.............. He's already been hooked by this hobby. (The guy just has that fly fishing susceptible personality).... I bet if you talk to this same guy in a year, He's got twice as many rods, maybe tipple....., And also has some pretty good stories to share!

I like your approach.

Jimp, my advice to you is run........... (while you still can)..
Not sure I'm "hooked" but having fun and that's one of the important things in life. I've seen lots of used rods for sale for one reason or another, and comments by numerous members who like this brand/rod or that brand/rod. I've come to the conclusion (right or wrong ) that with so many manufacturers out there there has to be a rod that will work with me. The one rod I trouble with yesterday had similar characteristics to another rod I lost earlier this year after only casting it 2 times. I do think I got the "troubled rod" figured out, but not sure I want to "work at it" that much. Supposed to enjoy this sport, not work at it imo.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:34 AM

kartman35 is on a distinguished road

So yesterday I pulled the trigger and picked up my new Sage approach kit. I ended up with the 6wt after a brief discussion with the store owner.

The store is called Angler's Roost in western Montreal, and the owner is an older Japanese (I think...Asian anyway) gentleman. I'm on vacation for a week as of now, and I told him that I had planned to take the kit to the park across the street from my house and practice with a piece of yarn in the place of the fly as had been suggested by a pretty good youtube video i was watching.
"NO" he said. He has strictly forbidden me from playing with my new toy until there's a nice day with greener grass when he'll meet me in a nearby park for a ten minute lesson. He says that the muddy ground will damage my fly line and without proper instruction I'll get too frustrated. In the meantime he's given me a scrap piece of fly line which I'm supposed to practice waving around in my house by hand to "observe how the line behaves".
I've never in my life felt so much like Ralph Macchio's character in Karate Kid. So far I don't regret my purchase at all, and am confident that any over spending that I've done on a first fly outfit will be more that made up for by the experienced advice I'll get from my local shop.

Thanks to all who have taken their time time to respond to my questions, and I look forward to posting more inquiries as they come up.

The sickness begins....
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:37 AM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough

Wait till you start tying your own flies..
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:54 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartman35 View Post
So yesterday I pulled the trigger and picked up my new Sage approach kit. I ended up with the 6wt after a brief discussion with the store owner.

The store is called Angler's Roost in western Montreal, and the owner is an older Japanese (I think...Asian anyway) gentleman. I'm on vacation for a week as of now, and I told him that I had planned to take the kit to the park across the street from my house and practice with a piece of yarn in the place of the fly as had been suggested by a pretty good youtube video i was watching.
"NO" he said. He has strictly forbidden me from playing with my new toy until there's a nice day with greener grass when he'll meet me in a nearby park for a ten minute lesson. He says that the muddy ground will damage my fly line and without proper instruction I'll get too frustrated. In the meantime he's given me a scrap piece of fly line which I'm supposed to practice waving around in my house by hand to "observe how the line behaves".
I've never in my life felt so much like Ralph Macchio's character in Karate Kid. So far I don't regret my purchase at all, and am confident that any over spending that I've done on a first fly outfit will be more that made up for by the experienced advice I'll get from my local shop.

Thanks to all who have taken their time time to respond to my questions, and I look forward to posting more inquiries as they come up.

The sickness begins....
Excellent advice.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:20 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

K-35

Welcome to the Forum.

While I admit to knowing very little about Sage rods, believe you made a good choice. Suggest you fish that rod for at least one year, or
longer, so that you become accustomed to it before looking to upgrade. You seem to have approached you selection very thoughtfully, give it a fair try. Above all, enjoy yourself. LUCK!

Imxer

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 04-15-2013, 05:36 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartman35 View Post

The sickness begins....
Sounds like you picked a good shop. Solid approach.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:28 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Do not forget to WAX ON AND WAX OFF your ferrules Daniel-san
;-)

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com