The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 05:43 PM

kartman35 is on a distinguished road
Default help a newb pick a couple of outfits

Hi all

I finally decided that this year will be the time I give fly fishing a try.

I have two trips planned, one for trout and another where there should be lots of decent sized northern pike.

I'm planning to get the trout rod first and think I've decided a 5 wt should be a good place to start.

So ive been to two local fly shops. One is a Sage dealer and the other one has Orvis.

The Sage package is the approach rod with an 1800 series reel. It has a nice case..I can leave the reel on the rod. All strung up I'll pay 430 for that one.

The Orvis dealer is offering a Clearwater rod with an Access reel with a case but the reel has to come off for it to fit . This package also including line, backing and tip is 342.

Both shops have knowledgeable staff that will offer support and advice, but I kind of like the sage dealer a bit better (just a first impression after half an hour in each shop)

Any opinions on which package seems a better deal would be much appreciated.

Also wondering from a beginners perspective if either of these packages are worth buying compared to something like a st Croix Rio Santo for half the price...

I'll start a new thread for the pike rod questions later

Thanks in advance
Old 04-10-2013, 07:19 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help a newb pick a couple of outfits

If the deciding factor is whether or not reel can stay on the rod in the tube then get the Orvis, you can get a rod and reel tube for far less than what you'll save. As for comparing the two outfits, I can't speak to that, perhaps someone else can compare the two.

On a side note, watch for Orvis fly fishing 101 classes. They offer them for free and are a good intro to different aspects of fly fishing including some basic casting. When I did it some years ago they included a 'spend $50 get $25 off' coupons that would help you get outfitted a bit. The bit with the casting instructor, though short was helpful.

Welcome!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:17 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

Unlike many others, Id encourage you to go cheap. The first outfit I purchased was by far my most expensive indulgence in this hobby. Its also one of my least fished combos. It took me a while to figure out what I liked.

I just wasn't ready to make that decision the first time I walked into a fly shop. Looking back now with a little experience, I would have spent my money differently. Fly fishing is either going to be something you fall in love with, or absolutely get discouraged with..... there won't be much middle ground.

I've tried too teach a few........ Maybe it's not something one can influence.

I sometimes feel, the fisherman who naturally finds it interesting, will just somehow find there own way to this method of fishing.

Kartman, I see you got one post....... Ask away, I'm sure you got many questions...... I also got started into this hobby on a planed fishing trip! On a forum like this, there are no stupid questions!
Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by charged; 04-10-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

I'm going the "evaluation phase" of my new rods (3). I found a TFO Pro Special 5wt 8'6 on clearance, and got an Orvis clearwater reel for it. This combo is balanced well imo. I also ordered and received an ECHO Solo combo beginner kit in 5wt but 9' (rod/reel/line). The Echo is not as well balanced and a bit heavier than the TFO combo according to my untrained hands. I was able to cast both of these rods today for about 30mins each. Found there is a noticable difference in these two rods, both of which (from my research) are considered good rods for beginners. Based on today's testing, I would suggest you cast both of the rods being considered back to back on the same day, if all possible, and you should be able to tell which one suits your style. I also ordered a Reddington Crosswater 5wt 9' combo at the same time I ordered the Echo, but have not had the chance to cast it yet. One of the two I cast today felt comfortable for my casting style & timing, almost from the first cast, while the other I had to "work" at it to get respectable casts (IMO and I'm a NEWB). This rod was easy to have the line just "fall" from the sky while the other rod was easy to get a nice straight line in the water. This is the reason I suggest you cast both rods on the same day if all possible. I was a bit surprised with my inital conclusion, but I still have another rod to throw in the mix (the Reddington). I've got about the same $$ in all three combos as what you're considering for one rod, as I figured I needed to find a rod that fits my style/timing etc., since everyone has a slightly different casting motion(s). GL in your search
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:51 PM

weatherwar is on a distinguished road

The Clearwater is a nice rod for sure. If these are your only two options I would definitely go with the cheaper of the two. You don't need a Sage as your first rod, especially if "you're just giving the sport a try."

Don't be afraid to look at some cheaper Reddington or TFO rods too.
Hardyreels and shotgunfly like this.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:00 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum and to the sport.

What I'd suggest that you do is cast them both to see which feels best in your hands. I suspect both will be of similar craftsmanship, I have not held either in my hand. Both reels will be comparable and do just fine. You can google reviews of both rods and see what folks think of them as well as get opinions from people here as to which rods they prefer.

Go with your gut. Which feels best when you cast it, which shop do you see yourself wanting to go back to, etc. Ask lots of questions about the rods, policies of the shop, etc. Building a good relationship with your local shop is worth weight in gold. That being said, don't let my last statement garner more weight than how the rod feels when you cast it. The right rod for you is the one that feels best.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome to the forum kartman,
i'm gonna suggest you take a look at allen fly fishing.
great gear, and great customer service
Allen Fly Fishing
their current "deal of the week" seems like a great deal!
their new ats reels are pretty sweet as well.
hope this helps

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 04-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Well What do ya think, are they doing a good job/

The guys are telling what they know, I hope you are liking the way the forum works.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard
jaybo41 and shotgunfly like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-10-2013, 10:34 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
I'm going the "evaluation phase" of my new rods (3). I found a TFO Pro Special 5wt 8'6 on clearance, and got an Orvis clearwater reel for it. This combo is balanced well imo. I also ordered and received an ECHO Solo combo beginner kit in 5wt but 9' (rod/reel/line). The Echo is not as well balanced and a bit heavier than the TFO combo according to my untrained hands. I was able to cast both of these rods today for about 30mins each. Found there is a noticable difference in these two rods, both of which (from my research) are considered good rods for beginners. Based on today's testing, I would suggest you cast both of the rods being considered back to back on the same day, if all possible, and you should be able to tell which one suits your style. I also ordered a Reddington Crosswater 5wt 9' combo at the same time I ordered the Echo, but have not had the chance to cast it yet. One of the two I cast today felt comfortable for my casting style & timing, almost from the first cast, while the other I had to "work" at it to get respectable casts (IMO and I'm a NEWB). This rod was easy to have the line just "fall" from the sky while the other rod was easy to get a nice straight line in the water. This is the reason I suggest you cast both rods on the same day if all possible. I was a bit surprised with my inital conclusion, but I still have another rod to throw in the mix (the Reddington). I've got about the same $$ in all three combos as what you're considering for one rod, as I figured I needed to find a rod that fits my style/timing etc., since everyone has a slightly different casting motion(s). GL in your search

What people might have missed, Is whether or not Mr. Jimp knows it yet.............. He's already been hooked by this hobby. (The guy just has that fly fishing susceptible personality).... I bet if you talk to this same guy in a year, He's got twice as many rods, maybe tipple....., And also has some pretty good stories to share!

I like your approach.

Jimp, my advice to you is run........... (while you still can)..
Old 04-11-2013, 12:06 AM

kartman35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Building a good relationship with your local shop is worth weight in gold.
Thank you all for the replies and warm welcome.

The reason I chose these two options is because they both come from dedicated fly fishing shops, one near home the other near work that seem willing to help me learn where to start. The Redington, St. Croix and Fenwick rods are available locally too, but from big stores that don't specialize and the staff will likely be less helpful to me.
My first impulse was to buy a rod from St. Croix because I have a couple of spinning rods from them and they're my favorites so far, but as I said I want to be "in the door" of a helpful shop close by. Same reason I'm not considering buying online from Allen Fly Fishing although they'd probably fly to the top of my list otherwise.

For my eventual (and by that I mean before mid june) Pike rod purchase I'll look into those however I've already found a St. Croix Legend Ultra 9ft 9wt on sale for $220...but that's a question for a new thread.

So far I'm leaning toward the Sage. I like the shop better and it seems that the Approach is made in the US so that's gotta be worth something...Unless anyone has had a bad experience with it? If there's a consensus that the Orvis package is better I'm willing to reconsider...Is the 1830 reel as good as the Access reel? The Orvis shop tells me Access reel is an upgrade from the normal clearwater package.

Thanks again for all your input it's much appreciated