The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Is 2wt too light for bream and small bass? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/316296-2wt-too-light-bream-small-bass.html)

nick k 04-11-2013 07:55 AM

Is 2wt too light for bream and small bass?

I was planning on buying a cheaper 2wt and saving the rest of the money for another big purchase I'm looking to make. Recently, I've been thinking about swapping that and just getting a very nice 2wt. Was looking at the Orvis Superfine Touch. The problem is, when I used the live chat feature to ask a few questions about it, the Orvis guy said that the 2wt would be much too light for panfish and the occasional bass. How do you guys feel about this? Is this just a case of the superfine being lighter than most UL's, or would a 2wt not be able to efficiently cast panfish flies or fight panfish/small bass?

moucheur2003 04-11-2013 08:04 AM

Re: Is 2wt too light for bream and small bass?

It's more an issue of what you're throwing than what you're catching. I don't think a 2 wt line has enough heft to be able to hurl air-resistant poppers or weighted streamers. For little size 12-14 poppers I would say a 4 weight is as light as you should go and a 5 or 6 is better. For bigger size 4-8 deer hair bugs I like a line between 6 and 8.

kuch 04-11-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moucheur2003 (Post 545909)
It's more an issue of what you're throwing than what you're catching. I don't think a 2 wt line has enough heft to be able to hurl air-resistant poppers or weighted streamers. For little size 12-14 poppers I would say a 4 weight is as light as you should go and a 5 or 6 is better. For bigger size 4-8 deer hair bugs I like a line between 6 and 8.

Exactly, it is not the fish that will determine the rod/ line size, it will be the size flies you are trying to throw. This is true for anything you are fishing for. I also agree on the 4-6 wt range for panfish/ bass/

nick k 04-11-2013 08:40 AM

I currently have a 6wt I use primarily for bass and, while bream are not unenjoyable on it, it is certainly too much rod for them. I'm not looking to cast huge flies for the bream, and wont be directly targeting bass with a light rod.

kuch 04-11-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick k (Post 545914)
I currently have a 6wt I use primarily for bass and, while bream are not unenjoyable on it, it is certainly too much rod for them. I'm not looking to cast huge flies for the bream, and wont be directly targeting bass with a light rod.

Based on that, I would recommend a 4wt. You could possibly push a 3wt if it's a strong enough rod.

stl_geoff 04-11-2013 09:43 AM

I think you'd be ok if they flies are small enough. I fish for them with a 3wt and never had any problems.

dean_mt 04-11-2013 10:38 AM

As mentioned, it's about the size of the fly.

I have a 2wt and it is really fun to fish dries up to size #12 or single, small nymphs without an indicator. All the fun of a rod that size would be taken away if I were trying to cast anything larger.

Rip Tide 04-11-2013 11:26 AM

On the hottest days of the summer I like to go stand in the local river to cool off. And since there might be people looking, I bring my 3wt :rolleyes:
I know that the only fish dumb enough to be out on a day like that are juvenile smallmouth of about 8". If there was any chance of bigger fish, I'd bring a bigger rod.
:secret:
Besides, the little rod is a good size for that sort of fishing as catching 60-70 of the little rascals on a bigger rod tends to put a hurt on your shoulder

mikel 04-11-2013 11:28 AM

Buy yourself a featherlite 4/5 wt in 6'6" for 25 bucks and think about what else you want later

nick k 04-11-2013 12:13 PM

Don't think I could ever bring myself to buy a $25 fly rod. I don't want to sound snobby, just seems like a waste of $25 as it would just have to be replaced later.

Same reason I would never order a $3 steak. I'm sure theirs a reason why it's only $3, and you're just gonna end up ordering something else once you taste it.