The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 12:45 AM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough
Default good deal $15 bucks? maybe

So I am new to the site. I am not new to fiberglass fly rods. I am a long time fly guy and i live in NWI/CHI area. So i was with my wife and we went to a flea market. I came across this guy packing up and asked him how much for these rods. He wanted $30 bucks but I got him down to $15. I can not find anything about this rod other then this page http://www.fishingtalks.com/st.-croi...t.-356989.html

But I looks like the same rod but not in that good condition. Can anyone shed some info on this rod???
Click the image to open in full size.
I am planning on using this brown for the fish no one thinks is in NWI feeder creeks native browns

Then i have this rod also picked up. This rod looks like it wood? it has a rough texture feel with it.

any info would be helpfull.

also got this reel in the same deal with rods for $15
Old 04-15-2013, 01:51 AM

flytie09 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: good deal $15 bucks? maybe

Looks like something from grampas garage. Do they smell like moth balls too? Ha ha. Love the nostalgic stuff!
Old 04-15-2013, 02:41 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the reel is a Medalist or a rebranded Medalist.

Sorry. Don't know anything about the rod.

Just respool the reel with backing and line, add a leader, tie on a fly, and go fish the snot out of the rig.

Let us know how it goes.

Dennis
caseywise likes this.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:29 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

I'm not familiar with either rod but St. Croix is located in Park Falls, WI. Might be worth an e-mail or phone call to them.
Rich
Old 04-15-2013, 07:45 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

In looking at pictures, the white rod looks to be a spinning rod by the looks of the handle configuration and guides being used and length. I can't tell for sure, but the same may be true for the brown rod.

That's not to say they weren't worth the $15 you spent on them to yourself or someone else.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Both of those rods are spinning rods with little to no value. The white one is a St Croix.
The reel is a re-branded Olympic 440.
With a little work it could be a nice reel and might be worth as much as $40-$50
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:06 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I posted this before but do so again thinking the might be the environment the white rod was built in...

Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:07 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

FrankB2 has an Olympic 440 on page 2 of the reel-love thread
His is newer and has a Medalist style drag, but that's what it is

Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 04-15-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:39 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

The rod with the brown rough finish "might" be a Trueline. There is another blank of a older rod co. that look like that put can't remember the name at present.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimloom View Post
The rod with the brown rough finish "might" be a Trueline. There is another blank of a older rod co. that look like that put can't remember the name at present.
Most all of the early hollow glass rods were made from that same coarse tobacco brown fiberglass. Many were painted over but are still that same brown underneath.
That white St Croix is probably solid glass