The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 08:37 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Attaching a tip

The Rod tip on my 5 wt has come loose. I was lucky that i noticed it spinning around and didn't lose it. What and how should I replace it. I suspect a hot metly glue. Just wondering if I can heat the tip or not. I so have some low temp glue I use on my arrows.

Last edited by Tracker12; 04-15-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Attaching a tip

There are a few ways you can remake a Loop.
You can use a Fine Tipit Line Nail Knotted to form The Loop then finish off with Superglue or Pliobond.
Another method I mainly use is to Firstly Superglue the Line to form a Loop then I Whip Finish it & finish it off with either Superglue Head Cement or Pliobond.
The Third Method is to form a loop Place a Piece of Heatshrink over The Loop & Heat with either a Hairdryer or a Heat Gun then remove The Heatshrink hopefully you'll end up with a perfect Loop,also you have to be very carefully & get The heat just right.
There's another way which I don't use it's virtually The same as The one I use only The Coating is Stripped before bonding
All the above Methods are explained on You - Tube.
Brian.

Last edited by Liphookedau; 04-15-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:13 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

It is the Rod Tip that is loose not the line loop.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
The tip on my 5 wt has come loose. I was lucky that i noticed it spinning around and didn't lose it. What and how should I replace it. I suspect a hot metly glue. Just wondering if I can heat the tip or not. I so have some low temp glue I use on my arrows.
It just needs to be re-glued.
If you can't just pull the tip-top off, wrap the exposed end of the rod blank with some masking tape before heating with a lighter.
If you're going to replace it with a new one, buy a few different sizes....it's not easy to get it right
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:00 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Get the tip off per Rip Tide's instructions.

Remove any excess glue from the tip of the rod blank. You can carefully use a box cutter, single edged razor blade, or some fine sand paper. The masking tape protects the blank. Scrape with the blade toward the tip rather than slicing. Make sure you have removed enough old glue from the rod tip so that the tip top will slide back on.

I have the hot melt glue for tip tops, but you can use a hot melt glue stick the same color as your rod blank. Shave several fine slivers off the glue stick with your box cutter or single edge razor blade and put them into the tip top.

Use a hemostat to hold the tip top and heat it with a lighter to melt the glue. Slide it onto the rod tip. Adjust to line it up with the guides before the glue sets.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-15-2013, 12:21 PM

petee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to all

Very, very little heat on the blank. If its too hot to touch, its too hot for the graphite. Doesn't take much heat to ruin a blank.... ask me how I know that one.

Same with hot glue in the tip top. If I can't hold the tip top with my fingers when I heat it, to melt the glue, I consider it as too hot. But, that's just me and my experiences.

I avoid using any type of epoxy for gluing on tip tops. Epoxied tip top... good luck getting off if you ever need to.

Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 04-15-2013, 12:58 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
Very, very little heat on the blank. If its too hot to touch, its too hot for the graphite. Doesn't take much heat to ruin a blank.... ask me how I know that one.

Pete
Good point.

Manufacturing temps below, approx. 250 degrees for graphite

Rod Blank Baking

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-15-2013, 01:28 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I have fixed lots of tips over 20 years. There is a product, tip cement, it's an amber color that you just heat up and put on the tip. Slide the tip back on. Don't use any glues that are permanent. If you have ring failure on the tip top you might have to have the tip cut off.

I have seen guys do that where they use epoxy and then the tip ring breaks and you have to use so much heat to try and remove it it ruins the tip of the blank. Clean the tip of the blank completely to remove the old glue and you should be good.

Craig
Old 04-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Flex coat hot melt tip top glue stick is the best one I have found so far. Avoid the Fuji brand. It's the absolute worst I have found so far. I got a stick, two actually, of Fuji once. I ended up redoing every last tip I used it on. Some of them right away. They even come loose on a hot sunny day just setting there. Worst stuff ever.

This is a few years ago now so hopefully they have changed the formula, but I will never touch the stuff again to find out.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:12 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
I so have some low temp glue I use on my arrows.
Your fletching cement will work just fine
noreaster likes this.