The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 08:52 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough
Default TFO Custom Rod Shop

Posting this for information only and not an endorsement. I do not work for TFO or another other company in the fishing business.

Press Release: April 10, 2013

TFO Custom Rod Shop

Fly-fishing with Temple Fork Outfitters just got better than ever with the introduction of TFO Custom Rods.

Similar to the aftermarket modifications sought after by car enthusiasts and racing buffs who want the maximum output from their ride, TFO is now proud to offer a number of customized options to further enhance the casting performance of a select series of rods in our stellar fly rod lineup. The casting characteristics of our production rods have earned the reputation of being second to none. But we know some of you out there demand even more and despite the proven excellence of our rods there is always room for further refinement.

In addition to cosmetic enhancements with guide wraps, reel seats and ergonomic grip modifications, the blank undergoes a blueprinting operation closely akin to engine refinements in the hands of master mechanics. After a blank is rolled it is subjected to a unique blueprinting operation where the energy output is measured inch by inch along its entire length. High and low energy spots are detected and eliminated. The end product is a blank that is in perfect balance. Its mechanical efficiency has been tuned to its absolute level of performance and that translates into a casting stroke that requires less energy input from the caster. For any given distance the rod works more and the caster works less. It is pure casting efficiency.

These custom options are geared toward the discerning angler who wants to step up to a stick that’s been tweaked to an ultra level of refinement. Cast one and you’ll know what it’s like to surpass your expectations of how a rod should perform.

Your TFO Custom Rod will be personalized, serial numbered, and custom finished in the USA. Now you can own a rod that fills your performance needs and pride of ownership for much less than the cost of many production rods. TFO Custom Rods are available in 9 foot 4-piece configurations in 4-, 5-, 6-, 8-, and 9-weights and feature TFO's legendary No-Fault Lifetime Warranty. Depending on the custom configuration of your rod, prices range from $550 to $575. Orders can be placed directly with TFO or through any authorized TFO dealer. For more information about the TFO Custom Rod Program, contact us directly or visit our website at Temple Fork Outfitters Fly Rods.

Temple Fork Outfitters
8105 Sovereign Row
Dallas, TX 75247
(800) 638-9052 Ph
(214) 638-8143 Fax
info@templeforkflyrods.com
Temple Fork Outfitters Fly Rods
Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: TFO Custom Rod Shop

Good looking rods for sure !
Old 04-16-2013, 10:31 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

TFO entering the high-ish end market? I'm interested to see how this turns out...
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Wondering if Gary Loomis has also started rolling TFO's fly rod blanks @ NFC? If he has....they will be "Top Shelf"!
imxer likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-17-2013, 07:28 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Blueprinted? Never heard that when associated with fly rods. I sure would like to see how the high and low energy spots are eliminated after the blank is rolled. I just assumed that once rolled it was all said and done.

Sanding off material, adding material? Must be a fairly simple or at least a fast process in order to keep cost down. Sure sounds interesting.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Kind of cool to see all of these brands moving forward.

“Your TFO Custom Rod will be personalized, serial numbered, and custom finished in the USA. “

This doesn’t speak to the origin of the blank, which is of no major concern to me, but it would be nice for the sake of clarity in their promo and it might help with comparative shopping process.

I see Allen has stepped across the four hundred dollar barrier as well, with a custom build in the U.S.A.

Wondering what might be in the pipeline from Echo?

TT
Old 04-17-2013, 09:32 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I too am not surprised to hear that some portion of TFO blanks have minor structural anomalies. As I myself enjoy employing automotive analogies, I get what TFO is suggesting and I like it. However, like petee, I am unaware of post production "correction" in carbon rod blanks. I suspect they are "hand picking" the one-in-a-hundred perfect blanks and assigning them to this custom crafting operation and that "blueprinting" in the engine sense, is an analogy. Gary Loomis is a non-fly rod consultant to TFO but, to the best of my knowledge, does not perform any blank production for them; they have their dedicated rod shop in Korea for that.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:51 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

A nice gift for the man who has everything...but I'm not investing 575 bucks in a TFO rod, with or without a blueprint.
trout trekker likes this.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:53 AM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

No mention if rod case is extra as with all other TFO rods. Get a custom rod and still need to find a case for it?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:48 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

They do not cheat you out of a rod tube. They charge you only for the rod,,,and in the event you have travel cases as lots of us do,,,and store you rods in them with reel attached,,,you do not have to (and this is nice) pay for one more rod tube you dont really need. The round rod tubes,,aren't so important to everyone,,I'd about as soon all rod manufacturers included a modestly priced travel case (for rod AND reel mounted) But, again, I'ts not a big deal for me to just order one. It come's down to this,,they give YOU the option of what tube/case YOU wish to store it in. Not a bad idea I think.

If they included a simple round rod tube you'd pay 25-40 dollars more for the rod.