The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 01:16 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough
Default Re: white fly rod??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Yah, Mudhole sells them and so does Sexyloops.

The sexyloops white rod is a 9' 6 wt. and is designed by one or more of the top distance casters on the planet. (Paul Arden sp.?) It's a gun from what I hear. Not sure if you can get it in white as a blank.
INSTRUCTOR 9ft 6wt - SEXYLOOPS®

The one from Mudhole is the 9' 5 wt. 4 pc. MHX blank. Supposedly a fast top end type blank. I have no personal information on it one way or the other. The part number is F905-4-W-MHX. It goes for a price of $113.50.

Search Results

Personally I think you could do some pretty sharp custom stuff on a white blank. If you want to do white you should. I like the idea.
I've built two of the MHX fly blanks. For me they are just okay blanks. They are advertised as fast action, however my 3 wt. is more like a medium action(is okay as that is what I prefer for close in fishing), and the 5 wt. was to me a medium fast. I've enjoyed fishing the 3 wt. but replaced it with a 3 wt. Sage ZXL and happier with it.

Concerning their lifetime warranty, I did not make a claim on the 5 wt. because it was operator error that broke it. I did call and try to get another tip section and they do not stock them. They offered to sell me the tip from a rod blank for 3/4 price of new blank. I passed and got me another brand of rod from a fly shop.

I have no clue if other brands will sell just tips, but it did seem odd that a rod building supplier did not have reasonable priced sections of their own branded rods to sell to a rod builder.

I've built 8 of the MHX conventional blanks for myself and others. Everyone is happy with them. Actions seem to be about what Mudhole advertised. No one has needed to file a warranty claim. Bottom line I still build their conventional blanks but no longer build their fly blanks.

I think whatever brand you settle on, a white blank can be very pretty. Hope you post a picture of the build.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Dan,

What do you think about my 'make your own white blank' idea posted above? I would do it if I wanted a custom color rod. Did you get me message off your phone?
Actually I did your idea pretty much exactly on a casting rod for Sturgeon last year. The idea is it's easier to see bites in the dark on a white rod than a black one.

I got the message, but during the Spring Walleye season I am so busy I don't have time to cut a good fart. This one broke records. The Birchdale landing had boats in line waiting to be dropped in the water that went from the ramp to highway 11 1.6 miles away and around the corner. It took up to 4 hours to get your boat launched. When Frontier opened up enough to get a bigger boat in (Thanks to help from a backhoe) there was a line that went almost the same distance. It took a bit over 2 hours to launch there for a while. Once it opened up at Vidas, again thanks to a backhoe, the ramp was shut down due to no more parking. There was 244 vehicles in there by 10:45 AM. I got there at 4:30AM and was the fifth vehicle in. It was 7° F out which was not even the coldest morning. It was 5° one of the mornings. I don't think they had those kinds of temps in mind when they designed boat motors. It causes problems pretty often.

The season ended midnight of the 14th. Things calm down a bit now. Thank goodness because if it went on longer than this...... I'm to old for this stuff anymore.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:06 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

you can get a kabuto blank shipped from Japan, overnight, for $205. Then its up to you how much you're going to put into it in terms of components and time.

I had one i was going to build myself, but didnt have the time, so sold the blank.

Addicted To Vise
Old 04-18-2013, 07:14 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

fyi
there is a blue halo white glass rod (complete build) on sale on the fiberglass fly rodders forum (links not allowed otherwise i'd link ya) for $212 shipped.

Addicted To Vise
Old 04-18-2013, 07:24 PM

djamtime will become famous soon enough

If you are looking.to have one built check out JPRoss fly rods. He is an excellent builder and has been doing some vreat things with Kabutos.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:02 PM

also matt leiderman of Leiderman rods. he just finished the one is sold to a forum member on here...looks quality. think i might have to order another blank from Kab....

Addicted To Vise
Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Kabuto, swift epic, blue halo, and cts all have variants of white blanks. Eunan sold me his white kabuto blank and matt leiderman just finished the build and it should be in my hands in a day or two. I posted some pics of the finished build on the fiberglass flyrodders forum. The build possibilities are endless with these white blanks.

Chase
Old 04-30-2013, 11:17 AM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamwalker View Post
well heres the thing ran across some pictures of white fly rod blanks..and i must say..i need one ( mainly want ) anyways thats not the important part haha..dose anyone know of a manufacture who make a white fly rod? if not how much would i be looking at cost wise for a rod builder to build me one?
Before you buy a glass rod, check out "Tightloopflyrods" website. George is one of, if not the most talented rod builders I have come across. He builds a beautiful Kabuto white and also Epic nude that you would give your eye teeth to have. Price is reasonable for a custom made rod, especially when you look at what they are asking for in factory made graphite today. His site is full of pictures of his builds of a variety of blank manufacturers, dating back several years. I was so impressed that I have ordered a white Kabuto 764-3 and if it is half the rod that I think it is, I will be after another E-glass rod before the end of the year. Well worth the wait IMHO.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:36 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Found these from CTS in New Zealand.

Colors | CTS
Old 05-17-2013, 04:25 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

A friend of mine imports CTS blanks, and also builds a few rods for friends. I cast two of his rods and really, really liked them - one in particular. The only downside I can see would be time waiting for a broken one to be fixed - though Sage is not superfast either. But Sage does get it done and has a bulletproof warranty.

I've not cast the echo instructor rods, but Jackster or Silver may have.

I have seen some white training rods being cast at an FFF conclave (don't know the brand) but they would not be something I'd personally want to fish with in wind, as they took a much deeper bend than what I like at the range they were casting, and the rebound from counterflex was very slow.

Painting an existing blank would add weight, naturally, just like putting too much stuff on the guide wraps does. I've only done that once, repairing a rod of mine, and could really tell the difference on an 8 weight. I've not fished with it since.