The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 01:24 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default New Orvis glass rods to be offered ?

I read on another forum today that Orvis is in the process of developing a new line of glass rods. Has anyone here heard anything about this ? Could be exciting stuff in the making !

Michael
Old 04-25-2013, 02:45 PM

attila will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Orvis glass rods to be offered ?

Interesting.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Last year I had a minor cork repair done on a 1968 6'6" Full Flex and while chatting with a long time rod shop fellow whom I've developed a sort of long distance relationship with , he said that this was on the radar.

The old rod could have been done at home but it is in as new condition and I wanted Orvis to fix it. There was no charge and it was good to talk with this fellow again. I never mentioned what he said I don't think, to anyone but your post reminded me.

I would expect they will roll the blanks here in America based on what I was told.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-25-2013, 05:41 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, Ard. When you fella's know more,,and it will probably be before me, let us know. I'm kinda excited about the possibility of a new Orvis glass rod offering.

The older I get, the more my mind goes back to the '60's,,,might as well have a class glass to dream over !

I had a 'fund kitty' going for something fly fishing related, but a new well pump and satellite expenses to the tune of 700 plus yesterday,,,and I'm 'money impaired' for the moment. But......by GAWD the shower is back ! LOL

Michael
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:46 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: New Orvis glass rods to be offered ?

Dear God, another 'Raid on my Wallet!?'

Love glass rods; some one turns out 11- 12 foot blanks and they couldn't build those 2hander 'Switch Rods' fast enough to keep up with demand. Have an 11 footer and that was the only rod I put on the Jeep this afternoon.

fae
Old 04-25-2013, 06:39 PM

I tell ya Fred, one'a these days I gotta get with you guys that use the big rods and fish with you. I see the casting you folks do with them on the TV and YouTube things,,and it's impressive. You could tie a .30 cal weight on those lines and deer hunt with them two handers !
I love were I fish, but now and then I'd like to hook something that for just an instant I'd think 'this one might just pull ME in !'
Old 04-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Showers are important Michael, I spend a lot of time out where we don't have running water. I'll send an e-mail to my informant and ask what he knows about this glass business.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:21 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
I tell ya Fred, one'a these days I gotta get with you guys that use the big rods and fish with you. I see the casting you folks do with them on the TV and YouTube things,,and it's impressive. You could tie a .30 cal weight on those lines and deer hunt with them two handers !
I love were I fish, but now and then I'd like to hook something that for just an instant I'd think 'this one might just pull ME in !'
Hear you. The Spring King Salmon fishing Season is just kicking off. At the mouth of the Rogue the folks are having a good time. Few caught already at the top of the river. Need another month to get them into our waters.

Would/could be sooner but the C of E's just cut the water flows by half.

OK by me!

fae
Old 04-25-2013, 07:50 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

didnt even know they made glass spey rods fred
pretty cool!
micheal, havent heard any news from orvis about glass but we now
have ard on it.
looking forward to hearing more

casey
fly_guy12955 likes this.

ARFE
Old 04-25-2013, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Hi Casey,

I sent an e-mail to an insider there, maybe he will give a clue to a date and a country of origin for the blanks.............

This old one I have is very typical of the action that is bringing glass rods back. They called it a Full Flex and so it is but it has some heart also not a wimpy rod. With all the big waters I fish none of the little flea rods get too much use but I try to get them out every season. I figure if I take a different rod each day I fish it'll take the better part of a month to finish the rotation.

That sounds bad huh, I remember when I had only a couple rods and fishing was just as enjoyable. There really is such a disorder as what I call a Tackle Junkie.

I'm waiting for this ice, you know how that is. here in the valley and way up the Yetna it takes a lot longer than where you grew up. When it goes I'll be on those rivers right then. I've already prepped the boat and now it's just a matter of time.
caseywise and fly_guy12955 like this.