The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 08:38 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3 wt Rod Recommendation (BVK maybe)?

yeah beaver owens and friends i use my eight foot four weight alot,i have a winston b2x but thats a high dollar rod you dont have to spend that much the imperial at around 179 or avid at around 250 will do real well for the savage i like my 9foot four weight.helps with those trick currents and high sticking. remember the long rod is useful in pocket water even for dries because you can lift alot of line off all those varying currents ant those savage fish are very sensitive to drag. for the cassleman and north branch i like a 9foot five or even six because both those river fish very well with streamers and have some pretty large fish.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:37 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpreller View Post
yeah beaver owens and friends i use my eight foot four weight alot,i have a winston b2x but thats a high dollar rod you dont have to spend that much the imperial at around 179 or avid at around 250 will do real well for the savage i like my 9foot four weight.helps with those trick currents and high sticking. remember the long rod is useful in pocket water even for dries because you can lift alot of line off all those varying currents ant those savage fish are very sensitive to drag. for the cassleman and north branch i like a 9foot five or even six because both those river fish very well with streamers and have some pretty large fish.
Your advice makes sense. Perhaps an 8 foot 4 wt (as a second rod) is really what I should be considering rather than a 3 wt for when I want a more delicate presentation? I'm not sure it would be a perfect anything. It would though, likely be that good middle ground for when I need a more delicate rod.

The friend that introduced me to some of the smaller local waters fishes them with a 6 1/2 foot Orvis Superfine Touch that is really a sweet little rod. He really wishes it was longer though and wasn't shy about sharing that fact with me.

Do you have any thoughts on a good, but affordable all purpose 5 wt? I do throw a lot of nymphs and streamers(size 10-8 mostly with the occasional 6), but also want to be able to take advantage of dry flies when the hatch presents itself. This would be my North Branch, Cassellman and high sticking rod.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:34 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

there are lots of good affordable 9ft 5weights. I can again recommend the st.sroix imperial also the echo3 which is on sale right now at south holsto flyshop.(on line) the bvk is also a nice rod in that weight although likes a little heavier line (gpx or similar) im sure there are others i havent tried that some members will recommend. an 8 ft 4wt is a pretty useful size and weight around here gives enough reach and a little more umph for small nymphs or streamers. as i said i do own and enjoy a three wt but its somewhat of a specialty rod. you may want to consider one after you have a few of the basics covered. the 4 is a lso a blast with big panfish and small bass on poppers. deep creek lake has some stud bluegills and im sure there are local farm ponds around you.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:49 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
These two suggest two different rods - a shorter 3 weight and a longer 4 wt. I was trying not to buy multiple rods. Maybe now I better understand why so many fly fishermen own so many rods.
I think everything said re the BVK at 8' is accurate. It's a little quick for me (a CT 3wt owner) but very crisp and light in hand.

I do like it at 10' very much for nymphing. Fished one for a couple of hours not long ago matched with a little Konic and 4 wt line. Very sweet set up for nymphing...and a roll casting jessie.

If you want something softer for presenting dries, it's probably not for you, as it's not for me...but for the right guy, it's very nice.

As with all rods, the BVK doesn't do well if left on the roof of your truck as you drive down hwy 395. Good news is the warranty works very well...this according to my pal who tested the question.
yonder likes this.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:47 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I don't have experience with the BVK, however I do own two 3wts. a G.Loomis GLX Whispercreek 8'8" and it is a great small fly/steam rod. You can find deals on them on eBay for around $300.00 or so. Super sweat rod. The other is a G.Loomis Trilogy 7'6" that are found on ebay for $150.00, a great small steam rod.

Craig
imxer likes this.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpreller View Post
there are lots of good affordable 9ft 5weights. I can again recommend the st.sroix imperial also the echo3 which is on sale right now at south holsto flyshop.(on line) the bvk is also a nice rod in that weight although likes a little heavier line (gpx or similar) im sure there are others i havent tried that some members will recommend. an 8 ft 4wt is a pretty useful size and weight around here gives enough reach and a little more umph for small nymphs or streamers. as i said i do own and enjoy a three wt but its somewhat of a specialty rod. you may want to consider one after you have a few of the basics covered. the 4 is a lso a blast with big panfish and small bass on poppers. deep creek lake has some stud bluegills and im sure there are local farm ponds around you.
All good advice and much appreciated!! I haven't tried Deep Creek Lake yet. Now maybe, I'll have to. That sounds like some action I could get my son into. Are you fishing from the shore, boat or...? Anything you can offer to shorten the learning curve.

Did you mean South Holsto"n" Fly Shop? If yes, how did you run across this shop? And... Where did you find an Imperial for 179? If you've got a good connection, please share!

Thanks again for all the time helping with my questions.

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I think everything said re the BVK at 8' is accurate. It's a little quick for me (a CT 3wt owner) but very crisp and light in hand.

I do like it at 10' very much for nymphing. Fished one for a couple of hours not long ago matched with a little Konic and 4 wt line. Very sweet set up for nymphing...and a roll casting jessie.

If you want something softer for presenting dries, it's probably not for you, as it's not for me...but for the right guy, it's very nice.

As with all rods, the BVK doesn't do well if left on the roof of your truck as you drive down hwy 395. Good news is the warranty works very well...this according to my pal who tested the question.
Great story! I've had some mishaps with rods over the years. Thankfully, I've never done that one before! Good to know about the warranty though.

I really wanted to hear that the BVK 3 wt was the right choice. I know they're great rods and all. It just seems they're not the right match for the kind of fishing I do. If I were looking for a 7 or 8 wt rod, I wouldn't bother asking the question. I'd just buy the BVK. Of course I'm saying this without casting one myself - which I may still do if I can find one locally. I do get everyone's point though.

Thanks for the insight!
Old 04-22-2013, 06:58 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

You really should cast one for yourself, as it is your opinion on the BVK that will matter the most to you. My personal opinion is heavily biased, as I prefer slower, more medium action rods, like the ones of my youth. Old habits are hard to break.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimloom View Post
I don't have experience with the BVK, however I do own two 3wts. a G.Loomis GLX Whispercreek 8'8" and it is a great small fly/steam rod. You can find deals on them on eBay for around $300.00 or so. Super sweat rod. The other is a G.Loomis Trilogy 7'6" that are found on ebay for $150.00, a great small steam rod.

Craig
You make an interesting point. I had considered a used rod. There was a Trout Unlimited show in Bethesda, MD just recently. I even got a casting lesson from Lefty Kreh!! There was an Orvis guide there who was selling a very nice used Helios for something between $350-395 I think. I came really close to writing that check. The only thing that stopped me (aside from not being sure about spending that much money on a rod) was, as a second owner, not having any kind of a warranty.

The only other question I've pondered is whether spending the big bucks on a rod really would make that much of a difference in how much I enjoy the sport and how much better I could cast over a really well chosen good $200-250 rod????

Thanks for your suggestion.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
You really should cast one for yourself, as it is your opinion on the BVK that will matter the most to you. My personal opinion is heavily biased, as I prefer slower, more medium action rods, like the ones of my youth. Old habits are hard to break.
Your point is well made. If I can find one to cast, I will.

Tks!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:35 PM

coolhand is on a distinguished road

Some other "value oriented" 3 wts to consider:

Greys Streamflex XF2 - very nicely appointed and lightweight
Echo Edge - very durable and performs extremely well for it's price point
Winston Passport - nice "all-around" action.
Beulah Platinum - outstanding performance, looks great, might be hard to find.
G. Loomis Pro 4x - little "heavier" in weight, but very smooth. - USA made!

I am not a big fan of the TFO stuff, they cast fairly well, but seem to be a bit fragile with avg. to below avg. componentry. Although their warranty is excellent. The "extension" is an interesting idea, although I haven't heard how the rod casts with it deployed.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
Some other "value oriented" 3 wts to consider:

Greys Streamflex XF2 - very nicely appointed and lightweight
Echo Edge - very durable and performs extremely well for it's price point
Winston Passport - nice "all-around" action.
Beulah Platinum - outstanding performance, looks great, might be hard to find.
G. Loomis Pro 4x - little "heavier" in weight, but very smooth. - USA made!

I am not a big fan of the TFO stuff, they cast fairly well, but seem to be a bit fragile with avg. to below avg. componentry. Although their warranty is excellent. The "extension" is an interesting idea, although I haven't heard how the rod casts with it deployed.
Thanks for the suggestions!

I need to find a fly shop in my area with a decent rod selection that will also allow me to cast a few rods.