The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 09:23 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3 wt Rod Recommendation (BVK maybe)?

check the banner at the top of the website page or google southholston fly shop. i havent fished deep creek in years but i know it has big bluegill. i live in harford county so i fish out this way more. i have a few spots that have 8-10 inch gills and if youve never spent a spring evening catching these battlers on a popping bug you dont know what fun is! also im glad someone mentioned the echo edge another good rod at that price point. yeah you really should try to cast several rods before you buy ,everybody has different taste.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:27 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Since I have never cast a combo fly rod so I probably shouldn't even post on this. But I will anyway. I lump combo fly rods in the same catagory as spin / fly rod combos. They might work for two different situations, but may not do either great.

Personal opinion: Buy the right rod(s) for your various fishing situations. Just like a golfer doesn't carry one club for the entire course, the same rod doesn't work for all your given situations. Yes, the initial cost of a couple of rods will cost you, but I am betting you will end up buying more than one rod/ combo. Then again I am a certified rod junkie and build my own.

All we can do is speculate on what your preferences are. Cast as many rods as you can.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 04-22-2013, 09:30 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

hmm just checked the site seems the imperial has gone up a few bucks, still a nice rod for the price. as for catching bluegill look for there spawning beds in the shallows in a couple weeks saucer sized depressions on the bottom they nest in colonies so when you find one youll find a bunch. tie on a size 8 or 10 cork popper put about18 inches of 3x tippet off the hook and tie on a size 12 pheasant tail. cast over top the beds some fish will take the popper some will take the nymph. use the popper like an indicator. if they show a definate preferance for one you can remove the other.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:07 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpreller View Post
hmm just checked the site seems the imperial has gone up a few bucks, still a nice rod for the price. as for catching bluegill look for there spawning beds in the shallows in a couple weeks saucer sized depressions on the bottom they nest in colonies so when you find one youll find a bunch. tie on a size 8 or 10 cork popper put about18 inches of 3x tippet off the hook and tie on a size 12 pheasant tail. cast over top the beds some fish will take the popper some will take the nymph. use the popper like an indicator. if they show a definate preferance for one you can remove the other.
Thanks!! It sounds like great fun!

For the rod price... I was hoping there was a special connection somewhere. While I don't really know, it seems the price of fly fishing tackle is largely regulated by the manufacturers. I guess the good side of this is it helps keep the little fly shops in business by allowing them to be as competitive as the big chain stores.

Again, I appreciate all the input you gave me.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:41 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I have the BVK 3wt and the extension. I love the rod in both configurations. The 8ft IMHO is plenty delicate enough for presenting dries. I use a WF-3-F Rio Gold and have no trouble casting 40 feet with it. If I need to do better than 40 ft then I grab a different rod. It also rolls very well. When I add the extension it does a bit better with a Wf-4 line, but then when I use the extension, I am usually nymphing, and delicacy is not that much of an issue.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:32 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

For a trout rod, the Redington Classic Trout (Tempt now) is hard to bet. Best trout rod next to an Orvis Superfine that I know of.
yonder likes this.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:38 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
I have the BVK 3wt and the extension. I love the rod in both configurations. The 8ft IMHO is plenty delicate enough for presenting dries. I use a WF-3-F Rio Gold and have no trouble casting 40 feet with it. If I need to do better than 40 ft then I grab a different rod. It also rolls very well. When I add the extension it does a bit better with a Wf-4 line, but then when I use the extension, I am usually nymphing, and delicacy is not that much of an issue.
Thanks for the input!

Most of the BVKs I've heard about have a line like the Rio Grande or a full line size up. How does the 8 foot version fish with a regular 3 wt line? Have you tried it with a 4 wt line? Difference between the two?

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
For a trout rod, the Redington Classic Trout (Tempt now) is hard to bet. Best trout rod next to an Orvis Superfine that I know of.
What's the action like on the (CT) Tempt?
Old 04-23-2013, 09:24 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

The CT (tempt) is a mid-action. Best 'fish on' feel of any rod I know,,except maybe an Orvis Superfine full flex. For mid-action rods, they are the best value in fly fishing.

I have a CT 2wt 7 /2 ft but I haven't fished it much. My CT 8 1/2 foot 3wt is my go too rod for trout. LOVE that rod.

A 9ft 4wt would be a good all around trout rod,,handling even big trout good.

The CT/Tempt has the best 'fish on' feel of any trout rod I've used, and after all,,Isn't feeling the fight the most important part ?

You have the Sage warranty so you are in good hands with a Redington. And I've always thought they look better than the 'parent' Sage rods by a good deal.

Michael
Old 04-24-2013, 09:47 AM

jastrout is on a distinguished road

I am a huge fan of both Superfines Touch and Redington CT rods . But two totally different prices . I found two CT 8'6" 4 & 5 Wghts for $75( Cabelas ) and $55 off e bay. Both new .Hunting for 8'6" 3 wght. My purpose was four piece backup/travel rods BUT they are quite sweet and while not the Orvis hell I stole the rods. For many a 3 wght is nitch type rod so price point may matter.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:43 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

With my 3wt BVK, I find it casts a 3wt line just fine. The first line I spooled was a Cortland 444 Wf3F. It was fine but was older when I spooled it, and deteriorated, so I went to the Rio. I have tried a 4wt Rio Trout line, and it was fine, but I like the current Rio I have on it better.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.