The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 01:24 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3 wt Rod Recommendation (BVK maybe)?

see there you go just goes to show you should cast some rods and see what you like .different people like different rods. if you like the feel of the rod itsself but think its a little fast for close in fishing there is always the option of using a 4 wt line on it to slow it down a little when fishing small creeks with shorter casts.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:37 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

I have located the BVK 3 wt with extension, tempt, two different st croix rods and I'll likely take a drive by Orvis and try casting a few different things to see what I like best. Orvis just started a 20% off rod sale! It's taking 3 and maybe a 4th different shops to find all these rods. I'm also going to try a few of the more expensive rods just to see if I can justify all that extra money. One of the shops has a Scott ?s2 I think. Another has a good selection of sage rods. My goal is not to spend quite that much money. It would be nice to understand if I can really tell enough of a difference for me to justify the extra money

This is my first time on this forum. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the input. I clearly came to the right place!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

--Irish Blessing
Old 05-19-2013, 07:40 PM

I wanted to follow up and let everyone know what the outcome was with this thread.

I actually bought three different rods. I have a 9 (soon to be 10) year old son who has developed an interest in fly fishing and fly tying with me. Because of him, I opted for a 4 wt rod instead of the 3 wt I originally started looking for. The 4 wt line will make it easier for him to cast. I bought an Orvis 7' 4 wt Clearwater rod, reel and Helios 3D textured 4 wt line. The jury is still out on the line. The rest turned out great. He loves and can actually cast the rod. We did try longer rods initially. For me, it works well in those really tight quarters. In truth, I would have preferred a slightly better rod. Once you factor my son into the equation (and a 20% discount from Orvis), the Clearwater made a lot of sense. We are both quite happy!!

The other two rods I wound up ordering from Yellowstone Angler. If the UPS tracking info is correct, they arrive tomorrow. I just couldn't find the rods I wanted to cast locally. So, I talked it through with the guys at Yellowstone Angler. They offered to send me any rod I wanted to try and return anything I didn't like (as long as I paid for the rod up front and paid shipping to return with no damage done to the rod, which seemed quite fair to me). I got an extra discount because I bought two which didn't hurt either! I bought their 4wt best buy shootout winner, the St Croix Imperial 8.5' 4wt. I also bought a new St Croix 9' 5wt Legend Elite!! I will test cast them both over the next week or two. If I don't like either of them, I can return it and try something different.

I really like this forum and appreciate all the help and input from the folks here. I'm still way to new to this sport. It's great to have a place where I can get answers to those questions that I would not otherwise be able to answer on my own.

Thanks Again!!
Old 05-19-2013, 07:49 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

congrats on the new rods!
have fun with them

casey

ARFE
Old 05-19-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
congrats on the new rods!
have fun with them

casey
Thanks!! Now if it would just stop raining all the time, I might actually get to use them!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:06 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

what reels are you putting on these new rods?

ARFE
Old 05-19-2013, 08:22 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Those are some good picks...you'll be happy with them.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Clearwater 4wt - Orvis Clearwater reel. Seemed the obvious choice.
The two St Croixs both got Ross Flyrise 2s. I was told the Flyrise has the same drag as the Evolution II - similar to the Lamson Konic/Guru, just a few bucks cheaper. I pondered the Konic. It's a little "clicky" for me though. While there is very little difference mechanically, the Guru felt much smoother. So it came down to spending even more money on something like the Guru (which is actually heavier) or the Flyrise. So, I decided on the Flyrise.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Those are some good picks...you'll be happy with them.
I hope so. As I said... They should arrive UPS tomorrow!
Old 05-21-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I received my rods/reels today. I'm not sure I'm happy with the Ross Flyrise. Open drag, which I should have realized, and appears to have too much plastic. The place I got them from is happy to exchange them for me. So, I think I may opt for the Lamson Konic II on the 4wt and may get the Guru on the 5wt.

Last edited by ts47; 05-21-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:42 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I have the same rod,,Imperial, 4wt and love it.

There's no shortcomings with that Clearwater either. 7ft, 4wt, Clearwater,,excellent choice also.

Glad to see ya gettin' outfitted up, friend !

Michael