The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 08:29 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about
Default How important is rod/reel balance?

I'm posting back to back threads because they are really two different questions.

I'm considering the TFO BVK 8 foot 3 wt rod and also getting the 2 foot extension which would turn this into a 10 foot and noticeably heavier rod? Being somewhat of a newbie, I was wondering how important it is to have the rod and reel in balance? What does having them out of balance effect? Does it affect casting or something else?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: How important is rod/reel balance?

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, I did a quick search for you and will offer a couple threads. You will get replies but in the meantime look at the menu bar and click on the word 'Search', try different words to search for threads that have addressed this in the past.

There have been threads that led to many replies and the info will not have changed. Sometimes the reply rate will be low on things that have been posted often, this is why I suggest the search feature.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Reel Balance - An Objective Truth or Personal Prefernce?

Matching Rod to Reel

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-21-2013, 09:01 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, I did a quick search for you and will offer a couple threads. You will get replies but in the meantime look at the menu bar and click on the word 'Search', try different words to search for threads that have addressed this in the past.

There have been threads that led to many replies and the info will not have changed. Sometimes the reply rate will be low on things that have been posted often, this is why I suggest the search feature.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Reel Balance - An Objective Truth or Personal Prefernce?

Matching Rod to Reel
Thanks! Much appreciated!!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:43 AM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

In my opinion the difference between possibly an ounce (plus or minus) right at about the closest spot to the hand is completely insignificant. A balanced rod will be balanced no matter what kind of reel goes on the butt. A rod that feels heavy or tip heavy is going to feel that way no matter what you do with the reel. The reel has no affect on how a rod balances.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:53 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

This depends...what are you balancing it on?

All kidding aside, I like to have the reel balance out the rod right about the end of the cork (by the winding check). I've been known to buy reels, find that they don't balance the rod where I want it and sell it....but, I'm not obsessive about it or anything.

As Ard says, there are many opinions. To me, if I'm slinging line all day, a decent balance makes a difference.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

On a single hand rod absolutely none at all. On a two hand rod it is but not for casting, just so you don't have to fight the tip up or down while you have the line out and swinging/stripping.

As a matter of fact, the whole balance in a single hand thing has been beaten to death and in that severe beating the subject has taken, I have yet to see any kind of reasonable explanation or evidence that it makes even the remotest bit of difference.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Time for some ........ Click the image to open in full size.

When you say 'balance' I take that literally. Speaking on single hand fly rods here; balance (to me) and we all have our own ideas on this, means that when you are holding the rod in your hand at your side it rests in a horizontal manner. I believe the rod / reel / line combo should do this without your having to apply a death grip on the cork to keep the rod riding horizontally as you would walk along a creek or river with your rod rigged and a fly on the keeper. I don't like to walk along with a rod that wants to dip into the rocks or brush tip heavy, nor do I want it to try to tip backward with the tip reaching to the sky. I guess I could just squeeze the cork tighter when I'm not fishing but I like a more relaxed walk.

Once you are casting there doesn't seem to be such a thing as balance or if there is I've been missing that part for a long time.

I know that to some this may say Click the image to open in full size. but to me it makes sense.

I know you're lovin those smilies aren't ya
imxer, axle27 and sweetandsalt like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-26-2013, 07:22 PM

bigfishcatcher is on a distinguished road

I just tried a 10 weight line with my 6 weight rod as an experiment. It casts really powerfully and bends the rod quite a bit while casting. I think that a heavier line is fine as long as you aren't casting dry flies. A line that is too light will probably not cast well if there is any wind. I would ask the dealers what a 2 foot extention will change your rod to.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:41 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
When you say 'balance' I take that literally. Speaking on single hand fly rods here; balance (to me) and we all have our own ideas on this, means that when you are holding the rod in your hand at your side it rests in a horizontal manner.
That's what I mean also.

On a single hand rod, the rod itself is so light and your hand so close to the reel, it takes moving your hand what? Half an inch to balance your 6 wt rod with your 10 wt reel? In casting it means absolutely zero, and in holding it darned near zero. strip a little line off or reel some more back on and it changes anyway. Seriously, take your smallest rod and put your biggest reel on and see just how far off it puts the balance. Do it the other way around.

The weight of a modern 5 wt and a modern 10 wt rod are very close. Most of that weight is in the grip and seat. Are you going to tell me that that a reel for a 5 vs. a 10 are going to be a giant difference in balance giving what rods past the grip weigh? Try it.

I just did it with my 7 wt Winston ( I have a 5 and a 6, but they don't weigh any less than this 7 does. ) and my 13/14/15 Tibor lined with a giant long belly spey line. It only shifted the balance point back from the front of the grip maybe an inch and a half tops. That was trying to be as off as I could get it. Neither casting nor stripping with that would be the slightest bit of a pain. And that was trying to get it off as rediculously as I had gear for. The reel I put on my 15' Meiser barely moved the balance point. The Tibor with the line in weighs 1lb. 11oz. and my hand is still up comfortably from the reel. Better yet, put the reel in your pocket and try casting it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishcatcher View Post
I just tried a 10 weight line with my 6 weight rod as an experiment. It casts really powerfully and bends the rod quite a bit while casting. I think that a heavier line is fine as long as you aren't casting dry flies. A line that is too light will probably not cast well if there is any wind. I would ask the dealers what a 2 foot extention will change your rod to.
Like I have said before, the grain window for a single hand rod is very big and forgiving. As for what an extension would do to the rod, you would have to do it and then see what the ERN is.

Also a light line having trouble in wind is the line not the rod. If I put an 8 wt. line on a 10 wt. rod I can cast it and not have a bit more trouble with wind than I would on an 8 wt rod. In fact I could probably cast it a lot farther on the 10 than the 8.

The question though is balance. That 10 wt. reel was not a problem on the 6 was it.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:35 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i used to fish a martin mg 72 multiplier for salmon. it was a heavy sucker
it balanced well on the ugly stik

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE