The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   South Texas Rig? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/317463-south-texas-rig.html)

gedemer 04-23-2013 09:44 PM

South Texas Rig?

I'm looking into fly fishing again since it's been years.

I live in South Texas and am not sure about which rivers and such I will go, but which rod would be the best for a beginner in a 100-200 price point?

Which Weight/Length?

I was looking into this atm: (but the weight of the 9' is kinda high)

Cabela's: Cabela's RLS+ Fly Combo

caseywise 04-23-2013 10:09 PM

Re: South Texas Rig?

welcome to the forum and back to our sport:D
i think a 9' 5 weight rod would be a good fit for you,
a 4 piece is ideal if traveling:)
allen, a sponsor here, has great gear at great prices.
you may want to take a look....

Allen Fly Fishing

casey

MoscaPescador 04-23-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gedemer (Post 549665)
I'm looking into fly fishing again since it's been years.

I live in South Texas and am not sure about which rivers and such I will go, but which rod would be the best for a beginner in a 100-200 price point?

Which Weight/Length?

I was looking into this atm: (but the weight of the 9' is kinda high)

Cabela's: Cabela's RLS+ Fly Combo

What do you plan on fishing for?

gedemer 04-23-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 549683)
What do you plan on fishing for?

Mainly whatever is down here in Texas. I moved here a little over a year ago so I'm not quite sure what there is. Mainly Bass? -.-

(San Marcos, Austin, San Antonio area)

MoscaPescador 04-23-2013 11:59 PM

I looked at the link. It shows an 8'6" 4 weight and a 9' 8 weight.

If you are going to relearn the sport, you should be using a rig that you plan to use for your intended target species. With bass you could be using as light as a four weight (smaller pond fish) and as heavy as a nine weight (beefy sticks to pull big bass out of the snags).

An eight weight may not be a bad call. You could use it for bass in the lakes, ponds, rivers. If you decide to play on the gulf coast, you could use it for sea trout or redfish.

It may be heavy for panfish, but I have a feeling that you will eventually build a rod quiver.

If you are looking for options on rod/reel outfits, check out the Redington Pursuit Outfits. You can get a decent quality rig for under $200.

Dennis

gedemer 04-24-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 549689)
I looked at the link. It shows an 8'6" 4 weight and a 9' 8 weight.

If you are going to relearn the sport, you should be using a rig that you plan to use for your intended target species. With bass you could be using as light as a four weight (smaller pond fish) and as heavy as a nine weight (beefy sticks to pull big bass out of the snags).

An eight weight may not be a bad call. You could use it for bass in the lakes, ponds, rivers. If you decide to play on the gulf coast, you could use it for sea trout or redfish.

It may be heavy for panfish, but I have a feeling that you will eventually build a rod quiver.

If you are looking for options on rod/reel outfits, check out the Redington Pursuit Outfits. You can get a decent quality rig for under $200.

Dennis

Thanks for the input. I was actually considering Pursuit (9' 6 weight 4piece for 170$) or the Cabela's one. I will go tomorrow to the Cabela's store to see if they have around a 6-7 weight cause I'm not quite spent on the 8 weight; I feel it may be too much for the fish size I will be catching.

Which Pursuit is better for the target species I will be going for medium size bass and sometime trout? 5-7?

MoscaPescador 04-24-2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gedemer (Post 549691)
Thanks for the input. I was actually considering Pursuit (9' 6 weight 4piece for 170$) or the Cabela's one. I will go tomorrow to the Cabela's store to see if they have around a 6-7 weight cause I'm not quite spent on the 8 weight; I feel it may be too much for the fish size I will be catching.

Which Pursuit is better for the target species I will be going for medium size bass and sometime trout? 5-7?

Maybe the guys at Cabela's can shed some light on your waters which may sway your decision. It is hard to be local knowledge.

I may be erring towards a six weight. It would be fun on some of the small to medium bass. As long as you don't have some serious wind, it would really be fun on sea trout.

Dennis

gedemer 04-24-2013 12:35 PM

When using the cabelas mobile site it actually shows the RLs+ combo in 9' 6 weight and 9' 5 weight along with the others on the desktop version I posted earlier.

riverbilly 04-24-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gedemer (Post 549685)
Mainly whatever is down here in Texas. I moved here a little over a year ago so I'm not quite sure what there is. Mainly Bass? -.-

(San Marcos, Austin, San Antonio area)

In the rivers around here you have a couple species of bass, catfish, drum, Rio Grande Cichlid, all the different bream, several species of carp and suckers, gar, stocked trout and a few thing I'm probably forgetting. Most people target the bass but with the fly you'll catch them all eventually.

A 5wt 9' would be the right choice to start, it'll handle most of the fish you'll run in to around here on the rivers. I can bring in good sized bass, cats and drum on my 5wt.

That Cabelas combo your looking at seems to be a good sale price. I haven't used a lot of different rods to know what to really recommend. My 5wt is the TFO Pro II, medium fast and easy to cast. You don't really need a fancy reel, I rarely ever put a fish on the reel.

For river fishing (or lakes) you'll quickly see the need for a kayak or some type of boat. Most all of the river banks are private property and though there are parks, most are unconducive to fishing or wade fishing. There are a few areas on the Guadalupe River to wade, and some neighborhood ponds.

Now when I hear South Texas (Austin and San Marcos are really considered CenTex :p) I think coast, and that is a whole different thing right there.

gedemer 04-24-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverbilly (Post 549869)
In the rivers around here you have a couple species of bass, catfish, drum, Rio Grande Cichlid, all the different bream, several species of carp and suckers, gar, stocked trout and a few thing I'm probably forgetting. Most people target the bass but with the fly you'll catch them all eventually.

A 5wt 9' would be the right choice to start, it'll handle most of the fish you'll run in to around here on the rivers. I can bring in good sized bass, cats and drum on my 5wt.

That Cabelas combo your looking at seems to be a good sale price. I haven't used a lot of different rods to know what to really recommend. My 5wt is the TFO Pro II, medium fast and easy to cast. You don't really need a fancy reel, I rarely ever put a fish on the reel.

For river fishing (or lakes) you'll quickly see the need for a kayak or some type of boat. Most all of the river banks are private property and though there are parks, most are unconducive to fishing or wade fishing. There are a few areas on the Guadalupe River to wade, and some neighborhood ponds.

Now when I hear South Texas (Austin and San Marcos are really considered CenTex :p) I think coast, and that is a whole different thing right there.

Thanks for the great input. Im driving to cabelas as we speak.

Idk why I call it south texas >.<