The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 PM

usmcpowerman1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Orvis Clearwater?

I talked to the shop and they said they would offer me the same combo deal no matter what reel I decide to buy so now i'm looking at the Access mid-arbor II. this seems like it would be a better reel, I don't want to buy a reel and have to upgrade in 2 months.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

the Access reels are really,really good reels.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:21 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcpowerman1 View Post
I talked to the shop and they said they would offer me the same combo deal no matter what reel I decide to buy so now i'm looking at the Access mid-arbor II. this seems like it would be a better reel, I don't want to buy a reel and have to upgrade in 2 months.
Great choice. but I suggest you to buy the III.

I bought the Access IV (7-9wt) for my 5wt so I can also use the reel for my 7 and 8 wt and probably for my future 9wt. just my 2 cents.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:00 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

There's nothing wrong with the Clearwater reel. My first rod/reel setup was a Redington Red Fly 2. I've just recently gotten serious about the sport and bought more rods - one being the Clearwater combo in a 4 wt. It casts better than my Redfly 2 ever did. As long as you take care of it, all pieces of that combo will last you a long time!! I did upgrade the line to the Helios 3D textured line.

On the Clearwater vs. Access reels, The Clearwater is a large arbor while the Access is a mid arbor. Ask your sales guy the difference. The Access reel is a better reel, though I suspect you'll be just fine for years to come with the Clearwater. Besides, Orivs has a great warranty and customer service. If anything were to go wrong, they'd take care of you. Buy a reel to match your rod. I'm not a fan of buying an oversized reel to match 6 different size rods. The Clearwater II reel will work on a size 4,5 & 6 wt rods. It is the proper size for your rod.

If you just have to buy a different reel, consider a Ross or Lamson large arbor reel and a fly line other than an Orvis line - perhaps a Scientific Angler Mastery Trout or textured Trout Stalker line.

Enjoy the new rod! It's a great setup for the money and a great first rod to own!!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

I recently bought a 7ft 4wt Clearwater rod and plan to fish it for the first time this weekend. Can't wait. I paired it with a Lamson Litespeed.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:18 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike63 View Post
I recently bought a 7ft 4wt Clearwater rod and plan to fish it for the first time this weekend. Can't wait. I paired it with a Lamson Litespeed.
That's a sweet reel on a nice rod. I own a Clearwater 7' 4wt as well. It's great for those tight places!! That reel may be more than what I might suggest the op (usmcpowerman1) buy as a first reel. That Lightspeed could easily be paired with with a MUCH more expensive rod, like an Orvis Access or Helios 2.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:19 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Without fact checking, I thought all Orvis combo outfits included the line and backing...is this not the case at the Clearwater end of the spectrum? I also agree with working through your local fly shop. Supporting them may develop into an important learning curve relationship. Enjoy your first season fly fishing!