The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 02:40 AM

usmcpowerman1 is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis Clearwater?

So im looking at gettting a Orvis Clearwater as my first fly rod. Went to the local shop today and tried a few and it felt the best of the ones i tried. It was a 9' 4 wt. I'm mainly going to use this on some medium sized trout streams around my area and maybe pond fish for some perch or small bass. Any other recomendations? Local shop would throw in line, backing, tippet etc. for free if i bought the rod and the reel from them. Any help would be appreciated as i am totally new at this.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:13 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Orvis Clearwater?

The Clearwater is a fine rod, but I wouldn't buy it as an outfit. I'd go with another reel than the Clearwater reel. 9', 4wt outta be just the ticket for what you are fishing for.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:15 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Nothing wrong with the clearwater reels for what you intend on doing. get the combo it's worth it.
baseman1 likes this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Well, if you DO buy it as a combo, Orvis has combo's on sale at this time. Might save you some dollars if your local shop doesn't have the sale price on combo's.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:57 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The Clearwater is a good choice. I think that it is one of the better quality price pointed rods on the market.

If the local shop guy is going to help you out with a line and accessories, by all means, buy a whole outfit. Good local shops are hard to come by, so help him out by having him help you out.

I am not a big fan of the corresponding Clearwater reel. It is just made so hinky meaning I'm not thrilled on the quality. I would be looking at the Battenkill Bar Stock reel if you want that traditional Orvis look or an Access Mid Arbor reel if you want a more modern design.

Dennis
Old 04-26-2013, 10:06 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

I got my girlfriend the Clearwater 8'6" 4 wt and matching Clearwater reel/line for Valentines Day...

I am REALLY impressed with that rod and reel, especially for the price point it is in.

The reel has room for improvement, but it gets the job done... If you can afford it, going with one of their more expensive reels will get you an even better rod/reel combo...

I think you will be happy.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:29 PM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

I started with a Clearwater, my brother started with a Clearwater, and my kids now have a Clearwater. Great rods for the price and they still come with the 25 year warranty. Easy decision, buy the rod and never look back.

If the Clearwater reel is not what you are looking for in the package make sure to ask if you can change up the package a little and still get the line and backing for free. Most shops will work with you a little to make sure you come back.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:35 AM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

The Clearwater is a nice rod, I would take the discounted outfit that Orvis is currently offering. I think the 4wt Clearwater combo will have the Clearwater Large Arbor II reel. I had that reel before I traded it with Access IV mid arbor. Nothing wrong with the reel, I just want to have a fully sealed reel like the Access IV. For small stream and pond fishing the LA Clearwater II will do just great.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:37 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I agree that the current Clearwater models are very nice rods for the money. If you tried a few and the 9x4 is the one that felt best, that's the one you should get. You really don't need anything special in a reel with a 4 weight rod, so I would say the combo outfit should suit you just fine. However, if you do want a nicer reel, and if your shop is a designated Orvis dealer, they might be willing to substitute the Battenkill or Access reel and offer a commensurate discount on those too.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:23 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

get the rod, upgrade the reel.
when i got my clearwater II(a few years ago) rod/reel set up i asked to upgrade to a bma.
no problem, just a bit more coin. but well,well worth it.
i would recommend you upgrade to a bbs if you can.

casey

ARFE