The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 06:52 AM

attila will become famous soon enough
Default Orvis T3

Just got a new T3 off flea bay. Not sure what year it was made but it is new/never used. It's a mid flex 8'4" 3wt. Took it out last night after work. This rod was throwing a #10 wooly worm with am indicater(thingabobber)with no problems. I could feel the fish breath when I hooked up This rod is amazing. Anyone else use one or know anything about year of manufacture ?
Old 04-27-2013, 08:30 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Orvis T3

The T3 was introduced in 2002 and was Orvis's top-of-the-line series until the Zero Gravity was introduced in 2005. The ZG rods were lighter than the comparable T3 models, but the ZG tapers didn't perform well. I think Orvis continued to make the T3 until the ZG Helios series replaced the original ZG in 2007.

Last edited by moucheur2003; 04-27-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:07 PM

bluefeather is on a distinguished road

I've got an 8'6" 4wt T3 with the midflex 8.0 and it is the rod that I use the most.Matched up with one of Orvis's limited edition Teton Conservation reels it is perfect for the fishing that I do on Missouri's trout streams.Also have an 8'4" 3wt Pro Guide TLS that also gets a lot of use.There is nothing wrong with those rods!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:21 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

T3 blanks were built under contract bt st. Croix and finished by orvis in vt. Orvis maintained small scale blank manufacture to expedite warranty claims and build single sections for repair. They do the same today but no longer use st.croix. Nice rod IMHO much better than the zero g.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:37 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have limited experince with T3's but, if they are like earlier Orvis rods, the date of mfgr. might be on the butt cap.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:32 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I have a T3 in a 9ft 7wt mid flex that has become my absolute, hands-down, favorite small water steelie and lake-run browns rod. I matched it with an SA WF-7-F textured mastery GPX line and it is a real darling.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.