The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 12:53 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winston Boron II MX 5/6 wt 9ft

If you want to stay consistent with my numbers, you should be looking at the grain weight at 30 feet. Rio provides that number on its "click the line profile" link.

I do not have experience with the Rio Smallmouth line.

From past experience, I always have found shorter heads easier to manage with big flies. The caster will feel more rod load with less line out.

Dennis
Old 04-28-2013, 01:43 PM

barham will become famous soon enough

Several years ago I received a Winston B2MX 9' 5wt while signing up for a life membership in Trout Unlimited. It came with a Lamson Guru 1.5 loaded with 5wt line. I did not like the way it loaded so I experimented with a reel with 6wt line at a fly shop. It seemed easier to cast so I loaded my Guru with 6wt Rio Gold; it was an improvement. Frankly, its not as enjoyable to use as my Sage Zaxis 5wt 9' with Rio Gold 5; Winston B2x 6wt 9' with Gold 6; or even my Albright A5 5wt 9' with Grand 5.
It seems too stiff to me.
barham
Old 04-28-2013, 01:50 PM

sherlocktt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
If you want to stay consistent with my numbers, you should be looking at the grain weight at 30 feet. Rio provides that number on its "click the line profile" link.

I do not have experience with the Rio Smallmouth line.

From past experience, I always have found shorter heads easier to manage with big flies. The caster will feel more rod load with less line out.

Dennis
Ok lets take that Rio Grand as an example than.
It has 231 grains at 30 feet while beiing marked FW8F. You mean this one will be suitable for me?
So as i understood i should search line with the weight about 225 grains / 300 feet for #6 wt 9 ft, Right ?
Old 04-28-2013, 03:43 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlocktt View Post
Ok lets take that Rio Grand as an example than.
It has 231 grains at 30 feet while beiing marked FW8F. You mean this one will be suitable for me?
So as i understood i should search line with the weight about 225 grains / 300 feet for #6 wt 9 ft, Right ?
Don't overthink this. The first 30 feet of a Rio Grand WF6F weighs 178 grains. That should be more than adequate to throw whatever fly you need to throw.

The only reason to go 200 grains or more is if you are throwing large streamers that have heavy cones or beads or eyes, lots of lead wraps, and an over abundance of hair or feathers (kinda like Kelly Galloup's Sex Dungeon).

Dennis

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 04-28-2013 at 11:48 PM.