The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Are some Redington blanks Sage blanks?

Burk, while it suprises me, I'm glad you pointed out that is done occasionally. I actually work in international shipping and would have thought that all the duties, taxes, VAT's and what-not would make it impractical. But I also know that there's so much irregularity with those arrangements that one can't assume a guess based on a general concept will be accurate.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I have noticed that the Sage site is not as clear as to who makes the Launch rod these days. The clearly state that some rods are made in the US. When it comes to the Launch they don't say. One thing they do say is that any blank made at the US site has a serial number. They don't include a serial number on their blanks. So if anyone has a factory built Launch, does it have a serial number and how old is the rod?

Frank
Old 01-29-2008, 12:46 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Hi all
I have a launch that is about a year old and it has a serial number. My redington does not, the rod are slightly different in color. Both company list Bainbridge Island Wa. as their adress but not the same adress. I emailed redington and asked them if they are owned by sage or vice versa, I also asked if any of the same blanks were used. I will let you know if i get a reply. like I said earlier the rods feel totally different i doubt they are the same blanks
Jim
Old 01-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jim,

Redington is definitely owned by Sage. Different color blanks should mean different made blanks. They wouldn't go to the expense of changing colors.

Frank
Old 01-29-2008, 01:42 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I hope so I would hate to find out i payed double for a Redington with a sage label.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, Jimmy is the man. Right in old Idaho Falls down town. They also have tying classes and seminars. He carries WINSTON! just had to throw that in there LOL
I make it a point to stop in every visit to buy SOMETHING and keep him going.
Flies! he can really help you out there.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:48 PM

Hi Frank
I found this on the Sage site
Located on Bainbridge Island Washington. Sage was once a company composed of less than ten people, and has now grown to over 130 employees. All of the rods in the Sage line are manufactured under the same roof.
I can not find anything on where Redington makes thier rods?
Jim
Old 01-29-2008, 03:12 PM

Just got a reply from Redington

hi Jim,

Sage and Redington are sister companies, owned by the same parent company. Redington does not sell blanks, so your best option for building up a rod is to go to Sage. If you are asking if some of the Redington and Sage rods have similar feels and actions, my suggestion is to check out a dealer in your area and cast different models. Much of it comes down to personal preference. I do suggest trying to cast the CPS, RS4 or SS fly rod for a good comparison to a Sage rod.

Sincerely,
Karen

They really avoided answering my question which was do redington and sage use the same blanks?
Old 01-29-2008, 04:10 PM

I emailed them again and they assured me that Redington blanks and sage blank are totally different on all models, I must say Redington had a very fast response to my questions.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:37 PM

Yet another email from the VP

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your email about Sage and Redington. I know that Karen has already answered your question but I also thought I'd give you a little further input.

Despite what all you hear in the field, all Sage blanks and rods are manufactured here on our facillity on Bainbridge Island, Washington. We have always done our manufacturing here since the company came into existence in 1980. Our reels, on the other hand, are manufactured in Korea. Additionally, all of our design people are located here at the Bainbridge Island facillity. We do not sell our blanks to other manufacturers except small custom rod builders, and we do not use any Sage blanks on Redington rods nor any Redington blanks on Sage rods. In essence, Sage blanks are dedicated to Sage rods; Redington blanks to Redington rods..

Redington products are all sourced in Asia by factories that we have rather painstakingly certified over the years. While we are quite aware of their production techniques, we do not instruct them how to build their rods, but we do put the finished Redington products through thorough testing well in line with what we do here at Sage.

We realize there is confusion in the field, generally spread by dealers who truly don't know the story or who might have another agenda. But that's the story, straight from the horses mouth, and if you are ever in the Seattle area please take a ferry out to Bainbridge Island and we'll gladly show you what we're talking about by giving you a tour of the factory.

Again, thanks for your interest in both Sage and Redington.

Sincerely,

Marc Bale
Vice President Marketing and Sales
Sage/Redington

You cant beat thier customer service.
Jim