The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 05:46 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Re: Are some Redington blanks Sage blanks?

Wow, that really is impressive that you got a personal response from a VP! Makes me like that company even more. I also appreciated his straight forward response. Thank you everyone who put in the legwork to find tha answer to this question! Glad it sparked some interest.

Dorian
Old 02-10-2008, 10:30 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

This goes along the same line as recent questions about Rio. One member on the Winston boards went as far as to question if Rio lines would still be well matched to Winston rods now that they are owned (and the assumption that they would be specifically developed for) Sage. Sage doesn't own anything, Sage is primarily owned by a holding company who also now holds the primary interest of Redington and Rio... none are in bed together, and they don't even work off a common marketing/business plan.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN View Post
This goes along the same line as recent questions about Rio. One member on the Winston boards went as far as to question if Rio lines would still be well matched to Winston rods now that they are owned (and the assumption that they would be specifically developed for) Sage. Sage doesn't own anything, Sage is primarily owned by a holding company who also now holds the primary interest of Redington and Rio... none are in bed together, and they don't even work off a common marketing/business plan.

Very well put!
Old 02-11-2008, 09:28 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Actually this is only partially true. They do a whole lot of marketing together. I won't go in to details. But there is a reason you saw lots of Sage Quite taper lines at retail last year in stores that carry Rio. They most certainly DO work in common on their marketing/business plan. And they require that reps in the same territory rep all three lines.

I am not suggesting that Rio ignores other companies when developing lines, or that Sage makes rods only for Rio lines. And I have no idea how much product development they do together. But their marketing is a coordinated effort between the companies.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
Actually this is only partially true. They do a whole lot of marketing together. I won't go in to details. But there is a reason you saw lots of Sage Quite taper lines at retail last year in stores that carry Rio. They most certainly DO work in common on their marketing/business plan. And they require that reps in the same territory rep all three lines.

I am not suggesting that Rio ignores other companies when developing lines, or that Sage makes rods only for Rio lines. And I have no idea how much product development they do together. But their marketing is a coordinated effort between the companies.
Yes, reps carry all, but how those are integrated in the retail scene is coordinated by the rep with the particular shop addressing their market, not all the reps do it the same, and no two shops get stocked exactly the same... the crossover is determined individually by case, not mandated by a central agenda from the Corp. level. The reason you saw the crossover in lines was because the new relationship made them available, and they chose to expand their line. We have had Sage since day one, picked up Rio shortly there after, and have yet to stock one stitch of Redington beyond some cheap fingerless gloves that were given to us to test the waters with.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:55 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Yes, reps carry all, but how those are integrated in the retail scene is coordinated by the rep with the particular shop addressing their market, not all the reps do it the same, and no two shops get stocked exactly the same... the crossover is determined individually by case, not mandated by a central agenda from the Corp. level. The reason you saw the crossover in lines was because the new relationship made them available, and they chose to expand their line. We have had Sage since day one, picked up Rio shortly there after, and have yet to stock one stitch of Redington beyond some cheap fingerless gloves that were given to us to test the waters with.
I realize this is true, but when a manufacturer is building free goods from another brand into the pre seasons, that is coordinated marketing. Off course the individual rep coordinates with the shops. And as far as I know their is no mandate that all of the brands owned have to be carried by the store. But when discounts, free goods, etc. are based on multiple brand purchases, that is coordinated marketing.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
But when discounts, free goods, etc. are based on multiple brand purchases, that is coordinated marketing.
That must be isolated to only a few very large high volume retailers, I can't recall ever having been presented with anything of the likes you're suggesting. Yeah, we get thrown a few pairs of gloves, and the standard demo assortment of small unpackaged goods to test, but it's never driven by what or how much of who's product we stock. I'll bet it is driven more by the fact that the shop is owned by a guide in our case.