The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 06:29 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Are some Redington blanks Sage blanks?

I had a guy at Sportsman's Warehouse tell me that a Redington Red.Fly2 blank is the same as a Sage Launch blank. He told me that Sage recently bought Redington and a lot of things are shared across the company footprint, such as some blanks.

Anyone know if this is true? I know it is a common practice in other industries.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are some Redington blanks Sage blanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian.ducker View Post
I had a guy at Sportsman's Warehouse tell me that a Redington Red.Fly2 blank is the same as a Sage Launch blank. He told me that Sage recently bought Redington and a lot of things are shared across the company footprint, such as some blanks.

Anyone know if this is true? I know it is a common practice in other industries.

Dorian,

When I read this post, I thought the guy at S/W was full of it, but it does look like Sage bought out Redington in 03'.

After 'Googling' for more info, and I could be wrong here, but it does look like they could be the same blank as both rods are the respective lines entry level rods. With the Sage price being a little higher, which is to be expected if the Sage name will be on it.

So if your looking to build one, that could be a good blank for the 1st time wrapper.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Last I knew, most all redington rods are built up overseas, while Sage rods are made here. It would seem a bit silly to me to take a blank made near Seattle and ship it to Seoul/Shanghai to then be shipped back and sold here, but I could be wrong.

I'm guessing that the guy at SW was just passing on a rumor/guess he had heard.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:59 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I have a sage 9' 9wt launch and a 9' 9wt redfly2 and they are not the same not even close the launch has alot more feel the redington needs a 10wt line to load it. the redfly is stiffer and heavier, I can feel the launch load with a 9 wt line i need a 10wt line to get the same feeling, dont get me wrong they are both nice rods but not the same blanks.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:23 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Last I knew, most all redington rods are built up overseas, while Sage rods are made here. It would seem a bit silly to me to take a blank made near Seattle and ship it to Seoul/Shanghai to then be shipped back and sold here, but I could be wrong.

Actually, that is not that uncommon in this industry. I know of more then a few cases where it's happened. Remember building blanks is the hi-tech part of rod creation, wrapping a blank and installing the handles is low tech. In some cases the tax code actually favors that type of product manufacturing. Wether or not Sage and Reddington are doing it I don't know. Also the product labeling, content, and place of origin laws in this country are very vague on items like fishing rods.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post

Cliff,
I agree, that would not make good business sense, and I was not trying to say that.
But they may use the same design/taper on Redington blanks made over there.
Like I also said before I could be wrong.

Just trying my best to help a brother out.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw View Post
I have a sage 9' 9wt launch and a 9' 9wt redfly2 and they are not the same not even close the launch has alot more feel the redington needs a 10wt line to load it. the redfly is stiffer and heavier, I can feel the launch load with a 9 wt line i need a 10wt line to get the same feeling, dont get me wrong they are both nice rods but not the same blanks.
Well there you have it, someone with first hand experience.

I was wrong, they are not the same blank, I only thought it could be a possibility.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Dorian,
Do you also go to Jimmy's? Not a bad fly shop, and they have plenty of various classes during the Winter.

They also have the best fishing report on southeastern Idaho, well best I've seen so far.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:58 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Jimmy's? I can't say that I know of them. Doesn't surprise me though, I am pretty new to the sport and have a very limited knowledge of these things. Do you know where they are located? I would like to check them out.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:12 AM
Super Moderator

Here you go.........Home - Jimmy's All Seasons Angler