The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 01:28 AM

crohnie31 is on a distinguished road
Default St. Croix Premier

Hey everyone! I don't post a lot on here, mainly just like to read and research, but I had a question because there's not a lot of info on the rod I picked up the other day.

I'm still very new to fly fishing and still in the process of acquiring my gear. The other day at a garage sale I stumbled upon a practically BRAND NEW St. Croix Premier 5wt 2pc with matching St. Croix CLA 456 reel. I really didn't need a new rod since my BassPro starter set works just fine but for $40 it seemed silly to pass up, and I figured if I didn't like it I could sell it and come out even since its a name brand setup.

I haven't been able to try it out yet, but will hopefully get out soon. I've found a lot of info on St. Croix Premier spinning rods since they're so popular, but information on the Premier fly rod setup is scarce. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has owned this rod or reel before and what your impressions were? Did I get a good deal? Will I be able to learn and grow with this rod? I know you're supposed to buy to fit your cast but for the past year all I've done is stare at nicer rods in all my catalogs and drool lol.

Also, last month I had a gift card to Cabelas and bought a better fly line, because last year the $25 line, backing, and leader was all I was able to afford... And of course I can't find much info on my fly line. I only paid $25 (orig. $69) for the discontinued Cortland Precision Trout Platinum Dyna-tip WF5F, so I think I did ok. I'm sure anything is better than the beginner cheap line I had. Again, just wondering your guys' thoughts about the line and the pairing with the Premier setup.

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:43 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: St. Croix Premier

Hi,

Every St. Croix rod I've had cast very well and I would expect the one you have to be fine. I'm going to move your threads to 'Fly Rods' sub forum and merge them, you'll get just as many replies there as you will with multiple posts.

Hope that's OK,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Funny to see this. I've been pumping St. Croix combinations through the search feature here looking for info and opinions. Haven't found much except a generally rather positive opinion of St. Croix's in general. Recently got it in my head to build a rod and started looking at blanks.

My favorite rod isn't the 7'6" 3-weight that I though it was. It's a 7' 2/3-weight Ct. Croix Imperial. So I was thinking to go this route with a new blank to build.

Here's the St. Croix Home page: St. Croix Rods - Fishing Rods, Fly Fishing Rods, Saltwater Fishing Rods, Rod Manufacturer

Looks like the Premiers were made form "Premium-quality SCII graphite", which woulds be around the same as the Rio Santo fly rods they are currently selling. Looks like the Premiers are just Spinning / casting rods right now.

Anyhow, if that blank is rated for a 5-weight line, and you have a decent line on it, you should be 'okay' at minimum.

Don't know the Premier rod first hand, so the above is what I do know about St.croix in general. Reels, I have no experience with with St. Croix reels, so my fingers are staying still on that subject.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

When the Pro-Graphite was phased out 15 or so years ago, the Premier took over as St. Croix's entry level rod.
I'm sure that quite a few people here either have or had one as they were quite popular.
I had one of the Pro-Graphite 9wts and though it had a bit of tip wobble, that rod could throw a full line with little effort. I'm often sorry that I sold it.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:59 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

St Croix Triumph use to be the entry level fly rod... with Premier being slightly more expensive... Triumph was discontinued as a fly rod and re-branded as the Rio Santo... Not the Premier to my understanding...

Either way... Entry level or not... All St Croix rods across the board perform to and/or above expectations that's for sure