The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 03:21 PM

evan_aff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2013 5-Weight Shootout

I obviously work for a company that sells rods, and we weren't part of this shootout at all. But I was pretty taken aback by the comments toward Clutch and Mystic. Both companies are doing awesome work for what they're setting out to do, and don't deserve that kind of disrespect.
fysh, mcnerney, caseywise and 5 others like this.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:23 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

I read these things for the fun factor only. Most people know what they like and develop a brand loyalty to the manufactures that produce that type of rod. It is impossible to be subjective if your casting stoke favors a fast rod and you are testing a slower one. The slow one just won't be in the sweet spot and you will never "get it".
BlueDun, mcnerney and troutchaser8 like this.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:03 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

I think shootouts are gong shows and this is why. Rods scored differently in the casting categories than they did two years ago. Are we to think they all the sudden quit casting as well? I've been a long fan of mystic and found it odd they didn't test their flagship m series rod but instead the brand new maveryck. Anderson clearly hated that rod but later went on to rave about their reaper which I found funny. What was even odder to me was that no less than a month ago, the mystic mav place third in the Texas fly rod challenge shoot out and in that shot out they were cast by like 100 people! Perhaps mystic and clutch didn't offer enough"grease" for their rods to place higher. Like I said...gong show and the comments they made in the reviews have caused me to loose what little respect for them I had...

I should also add that two of the top 5 rods use the exact same blank made by j.s co. in Korea and they placed differently. Not the same maker, not the same taper...the same blank with different components and marketing. Anderson knows this and doesn't mention a thing. One of our sports dirty little secrets

Last edited by db cooper; 05-02-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:56 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

As I wrote earlier, there are typo’s and omissions in this article. It’s as if we’re reading an advanced draft, but not the final draft.
I was waiting to see if anyone else picked up on this, but a 9’ 5wt. Scott A4 does not cost $745.00, they’re $ 395.00. The error appears in both
the text of the shootout and on the final results chart.
This leads me to believe they actually tested a Scott S4, which is an entirely different animal.

Now I’m no writer, nor an editor, but if an employee handed me a work product that had glaring errors in it, that reoccurred throughout the work product…….
This is not the only mistake in the article, it’s just one that jumps off the page and should’ve been caught prior to publication.
This shootout looks unpolished, rushed…

TT
Edit:

I need to add an amendment to my comments.

It’s now unclear to me, if they ( Anderson ) even know what rod they tested and wrote up. Because if you look at this deflection board, they have entries for both the S4 and the A4 series. Yet there is no mention of the S4 in their shootout.
http://df3zidyktuxw9.cloudfront.net/...geQuality=Full

Granted, not everyone is hip to the Scott product line. But if they tested three Scott models as their deflection board clearly exhibits ( A4, S4 & G2 ), then errantly mixed up the models in their final results….it does call other results into question. There is indeed a large human influence in all of this…….

To me, this mistake is tantamount to confusing a Sage Flight with a TCX, or aT.F.O. BVK with a Pro.

mcnerney and troutchaser8 like this.

Last edited by trout trekker; 05-02-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:18 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

your right trekker and i noticed this too. the picture with the write up clearly shows the a4 in the picture which costs 395 but the write up says 795.; doesnt matter as anderson always dogs the scotts anyway.As db said i also noticed that two of the top four rods are the same blank from a korean maker. also thought it was funny how 2 years ago the sage one was the cats meow but now it finished way down the list. sudenly its too stiff and has no feel.I had little respect for this crew before and none after reading this review. i certainly wouldnt buy anything from them and dont place any value on there opinion .
fly_guy12955 and runningfish like this.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:25 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Good points. I didn't pick up the three Scotts on the deflection board nor the obvious price discrepancy. Further, the G2 belongs in a different rod category than many of the more power oriented rods in the test but then too so does the Tom Morgan and Circa which placed oddly high in an all-round 5-weight comparison. And then there was the not-thought-out terminology already brought up. Not Anderson's best Shootout.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:34 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_aff View Post
I obviously work for a company that sells rods, and we weren't part of this shootout at all. But I was pretty taken aback by the comments toward Clutch and Mystic. Both companies are doing awesome work for what they're setting out to do, and don't deserve that kind of disrespect.
I wonder what they will say about Allen rods, if they were in it. I am glad Allen was not in it. Customers' reviews and listening to them are the right way to develop your products more.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:45 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

To be honest...three of the top 5 rods are sporting J.S Co. blanks, but the loop is built on another taper. The other two...same rods. Only difference is a slight flex profile difference due to the fact that one uses single foot guides and the other uses snakes. Kind of makes you think about some of the **** we are sold in adds and marketing.

Here is the other shootout i referenced. Notice that 100 people cast the rods, and the rods were covered in tape so the test was totally blind. A much better yardstick of a great casting rod imho. I see the J.S rods again which leads me to believe those Koreans are really making some great rods these days! Guess what...2 Sergeants Fly Fishing does NOT sell rods or accept add money...no skin in the game.

The Texas Fly Rod Challenge, Part 1 of 3, The Results Are Here at 2 Sergeants Fly Fishing!*|*2SergeantsFlyFishing – Objective Advice, Big Adventure, Fly Fishing Stuff that Works!

Last edited by db cooper; 05-02-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:18 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I looked at the shoot-out, and think George is all over the place with his opinions. The Circa is too soft, but scored higher than the ONE which he also said was too soft...???? The praise he heaped on the ONE is gone now, and said it's due for a re-design two years later. Yeah, the Sage ONE Part Two. That would kill sales of the original ONE, but whatever. I used to work in the bicycle biz, and that industry LOVES to redesign every each year. They're worse than car companies. Good luck finding parts for last year's bike. They'd prefer you buy a new bike, or at least overhaul the entire system (the moving parts work as a system, and systems get dumped yearly). I like my Sage ZXL and Z-Axis rods, and wish I had kept the 4 and 5wt Z-Axis blanks I bought for half price.

Honestly.....well.....you don't want to know my opinion of this scatterbrain bunch of nonsense. I can go to the local fly shop and decide for myself. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Anderson tells his sales staff to push the $200 Ross rod on the newbie, and then sell him whatever $700 rod he puts on top later that year or the following season.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:22 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

This could be great news for Scott. Because if you give the Scott A4 the 3 additional points it would’ve gotten if they’d gotten the price correct at under $400.00. Then the A4’s final score is 127.
Which pulls it out of a three way tie for 13th. place and moves it up to 10th. place ( the Scott A4 makes the top 10 ! ) , dropping the Sage One to 11th. place !

Now that really would be news!

TT