The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 12:36 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default 2013 5-Weight Shootout

Well it is finally up on the Yellowstone Angler web site 2013 5 weight shootout - Yellowstone Angler , the 2013 version of the 5-Weight Shootout is complete. Having read the Mini-Shootout a couple months ago, I was surprised to see that George had overlooked several rods close to home for him and there are new winners at the top of his lists. I have not read the Shootout yet, just scanned it in preparation for posting it to our forum but I could not help but note that two of the top placing rods exceed a grand in price and one of my personal favorites placed very mid-pack. Along with he rest of you, I will need to read in more detail and comment further later.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:11 PM

bpeter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2013 5-Weight Shootout

Being Swedish, it's interesting to read that they prefer the Loop Opti Stream to the much more expensive Loop Cross S1 (not tested). "Nano-technology" is not everything.

I thought they would find the Opti Stream slightly underlined (historically said to be more of a 5½ wt, not that I have tried it myself).
Old 04-29-2013, 02:41 PM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

I have read the 2013 shootout and compared the spec.for the Hardy Zenith with that of the 2011 shootout. Hardy produced a new rod this year that was a 0.5 ounce lighter (3.0 oz.) but with a sing weight that is 1.43 ounces heavier (8.4 oz.). Why did Hardy change this rod's formula? In addition, do you think that George might have been under a little pressure to find a new winner when he gave the Loomis an extra .5 of a point in the 25' category and an additional full point in the 45' (20.5 & 21 out of 20). Hardy and the others were scored out of 20, Loomis.. out of 21! I my mind they tied. You might have guessed, I am a Hardy fan since I bought that first Zenith. Just my thoughts.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:01 PM

BigJim2x has a spectacular aura aboutBigJim2x has a spectacular aura about

Perhaps more telling is that the top 5 rods were within a small margin. There is a slight disconnect to the remaining 3 rods, which again are within a small margin of themselves.

Does that mean that we have the elite of the elite and then simply elite out of all the rod brands and models in the fly fishing industry?

Jim
Old 04-29-2013, 03:11 PM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice

The Helios 2 and Boron III-SX should be higher. I had a heck of a time deciding between those 2 rods! I guess they have a special feel they are looking for in a rod. Everyone has their own preference, I guess. (eventhough some know better than others!)

Last edited by troutchaser8; 04-29-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:31 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I've decided to store Andersons 'test' out in the barn lot. I'd much rather just ask folks HERE... what YOU think of a rod I might be considering. In defense of 'the ONE'....if it was that GOOD before,,how did it drop so far NOW ?

Mind games and tackle sales.

He always says he wishes Orvis would send more rods...well,,maybe Orvis just doesn't need his opinion. (granted I'm an loyal Orvis person so I'm slanted,,,but I'll admit it..I've just never seen any 'bad' Orvis rods.)

Call me big time skeptical but I glanced at the test and deleted the email.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:06 PM

runningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nice

If my Zenith and Helios aren't winning it, then I won't read it!

I knew about the Anderson's shootouts but didn't really care much about it when I was buying my rods. What I have is the best for me. LOL!!!

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
I have read the 2013 shootout and compared the spec.for the Hardy Zenith with that of the 2011 shootout. Hardy produced a new rod this year that was a 0.5 ounce lighter (3.0 oz.) but with a sing weight that is 1.43 ounces heavier (8.4 oz.). Why did Hardy change this rod's formula? In addition, do you think that George might have been under a little pressure to find a new winner when he gave the Loomis an extra .5 of a point in the 25' category and an additional full point in the 45' (20.5 & 21 out of 20). Hardy and the others were scored out of 20, Loomis.. out of 21! I my mind they tied. You might have guessed, I am a Hardy fan since I bought that first Zenith. Just my thoughts.
My Zenith 7wt and 8wt pcs weight the same on my cooking scale at 3.2oz. But the 7wt does feel lighter in hand. I can whip those 2 sticks silly for the whole day and don't feel anything the next day.

Have you tested the Proaxis? I am looking to get a 7wt Proaxis 4pcs and wondering how it differs to the Zenith 7wt 4pcs.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:27 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

Anderson does not care for Proaxis...but I do, they are great rods. As per above, ONE did not decline, Anderson never like the ONE in trout rod sizes. You must understand his preference, not unique to him, is for a high line speed rod with a soft tip. He dug Z-Axis not ONE. By the way, if our beloved Zenith did not retain 1st place (by a hair), its OK, we can still love it. To the Orvis point, I have cast both H2#5's, tip and mid-flex, and improved though they are, they are still mid pack players up from low-end finishers compared to some others here. But it is OK to love them anyway. I have not cast the winning softer NRX but I am addicted to my hard-core original NRX #4 which was paned in the 4-weight shootout.

The shootouts are fabulous comparative performance data resources not intended to be affirmations of what an individual angler subjectively likes for his personal fishing.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:46 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Still,,, Orvis Helois rods,,they came in five spots higher than the revered ONE. It's at 10th this year ,,yet didn't drop ? Maybe I read last years test wrong. I'll recheck.

I wish ,,,for grins and giggles,,someone would do a test with rods most people fish with..and include mid-flex and full flex rods.

Then it could be more about fish-ability and less about,,,whatever..
BlueDun likes this.

Last edited by fly_guy12955; 04-29-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

It's funny how sensitive we get about "our" rods when these tests come back. I'm kinda a 'Loomis junkie and so I liked it that they came out on top. However I have added a Zenith and a Streamflex XF2 this year and love them all. I say enjoy what you have and let the marketing types write what they will.

Craig
imxer and troutnut4 like this.