The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Help getting started (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/318202-help-getting-started.html)

arkus 05-01-2013 11:06 PM

Help getting started

Hello! im 17 years old and have just really started getting into fly fishing it is a very addicting activity. I am needing to find a good fly rod and a good real that wont totally break my bank since I'm going to college. I have learned to cast with a old sage 6 wt my dad has form his days in the early 90's. I will be fishing smaller rivers for trout but also for the small northern pike around where i live if anyone can point me in the right direction or give me a rod suggestions it would be greatly appreciated thank you.

caseywise 05-01-2013 11:11 PM

Re: Help getting started

check these cats;)
Fly Hooks Etc. - Allen Fly Fishing Store
their current deal of the day is pretty sweet too:D

casey

Hardyreels 05-01-2013 11:14 PM

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you'll find out that advising you on what tackle to buy is the specialty of the house here :D Since your Dad's old rod is newer than most of mine I'll let the other members point you toward their favorites.

I hope you'll make this your escape zone when you are not studying or fishing. It's great to have young voices put into the discussions here.

Welcome,

Ard

shotgunfly 05-01-2013 11:15 PM

welcome arkus.

i don't have a lot of experience with combos but I have bought 2 reddington rods...a tempt and a crosswater and they seem like good rods...i believe reddington is owned by the same company that owns sage so it is sure to be around a while

the crosswater combo ($120) from cabelas is a 9'5wt I got as a loaner rod and ended giving to my friend. it's a good rod (no warranty), I didn't care much for the reel that came for it...it's big/heavy but i tend to spend $$$ for lighter gear

there is a reddington pursuit, a step up ($160) that is a faster action but it has a better (aluminum) reel.

I think ECHO sells a combo in this price range. I have no experience with them but the other local fly shop almost sold me on one becuase of the price. i went with the more established company....

jpbfly 05-02-2013 12:21 AM

:welcomeanArkus...+1 for the Crosswater outfit....And good deals on Allen site too;)hope your pikes are not too big:rolleyes:

popperhopper 05-02-2013 01:49 AM

I own a Reddington Pursuit in 6wt. Great combo but is a little heafty. The Pursuit does have a lifetime rod warranty where as the Crosswater does not. Plus as stated a better reel with a slightly better drag. Not by much...but its there.

160 for the 2pc....180 for the 4pc.

If you go with a budget Reddington purchase a new leader with the outfit. My supplied leader was garbage. But your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

petee 05-02-2013 06:51 AM

Ha, I like how the kid says older fly rod from the early 90's. :D Now I feel really old.

Personal opinion: Whatever outfit you go with, I would recommend a 4 piece rod. They're just easier to drag around with you, especially for a college kid always on the go.

random user 05-02-2013 07:51 AM

Welcome Arkus.

If I were you, I see what I could do about procuring that #6 sage. It's sort of splitting the difference between what you need for small rivers and smaller pike.

There is a a lot of good quality to be had in the beginner combo set ups. Any of those listed will work well. Fly good fly rods are not nearly as expensive as they used to be. They can be, but you can easily find a good rod & reel which is inexpensive and not 'cheap'.

Petee - I hear you on the feeling old thing at the mention the early 90's. I had already started my life over at that point. I think I need to go put on my favorite tweed jacket, grab my pipe and go be a grumpy, old, crusty, cantankerous curmudgeon for a bit.