The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By arkus
  • 1 Post By caseywise
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 PM

arkus is on a distinguished road
Default Help getting started

Hello! im 17 years old and have just really started getting into fly fishing it is a very addicting activity. I am needing to find a good fly rod and a good real that wont totally break my bank since I'm going to college. I have learned to cast with a old sage 6 wt my dad has form his days in the early 90's. I will be fishing smaller rivers for trout but also for the small northern pike around where i live if anyone can point me in the right direction or give me a rod suggestions it would be greatly appreciated thank you.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:11 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Help getting started

check these cats
Fly Hooks Etc. - Allen Fly Fishing Store
their current deal of the day is pretty sweet too

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 05-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you'll find out that advising you on what tackle to buy is the specialty of the house here Since your Dad's old rod is newer than most of mine I'll let the other members point you toward their favorites.

I hope you'll make this your escape zone when you are not studying or fishing. It's great to have young voices put into the discussions here.

Welcome,

Ard
shotgunfly likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-01-2013, 11:15 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

welcome arkus.

i don't have a lot of experience with combos but I have bought 2 reddington rods...a tempt and a crosswater and they seem like good rods...i believe reddington is owned by the same company that owns sage so it is sure to be around a while

the crosswater combo ($120) from cabelas is a 9'5wt I got as a loaner rod and ended giving to my friend. it's a good rod (no warranty), I didn't care much for the reel that came for it...it's big/heavy but i tend to spend $$$ for lighter gear

there is a reddington pursuit, a step up ($160) that is a faster action but it has a better (aluminum) reel.

I think ECHO sells a combo in this price range. I have no experience with them but the other local fly shop almost sold me on one becuase of the price. i went with the more established company....

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 05-02-2013, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Arkus...+1 for the Crosswater outfit....And good deals on Allen site toohope your pikes are not too big
Old 05-02-2013, 01:49 AM

popperhopper is on a distinguished road

I own a Reddington Pursuit in 6wt. Great combo but is a little heafty. The Pursuit does have a lifetime rod warranty where as the Crosswater does not. Plus as stated a better reel with a slightly better drag. Not by much...but its there.

160 for the 2pc....180 for the 4pc.

If you go with a budget Reddington purchase a new leader with the outfit. My supplied leader was garbage. But your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-02-2013, 06:51 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Ha, I like how the kid says older fly rod from the early 90's. Now I feel really old.

Personal opinion: Whatever outfit you go with, I would recommend a 4 piece rod. They're just easier to drag around with you, especially for a college kid always on the go.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 05-02-2013, 07:51 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Welcome Arkus.

If I were you, I see what I could do about procuring that #6 sage. It's sort of splitting the difference between what you need for small rivers and smaller pike.

There is a a lot of good quality to be had in the beginner combo set ups. Any of those listed will work well. Fly good fly rods are not nearly as expensive as they used to be. They can be, but you can easily find a good rod & reel which is inexpensive and not 'cheap'.

Petee - I hear you on the feeling old thing at the mention the early 90's. I had already started my life over at that point. I think I need to go put on my favorite tweed jacket, grab my pipe and go be a grumpy, old, crusty, cantankerous curmudgeon for a bit.