The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 03:21 PM

oldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura aboutoldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura about
Default Heddon Black Beauty Bamboo Fly Rod?

I recently received an old fly rod as a gift but do not know anything about it. On it it says Heddon Black Beauty #17-8 1/2-1 3/4F-HDH ar E. Originally, it included 2 end sections, I only have one and I believe it is the lighter one of the two. What weight is this rod and would I still be able to use it on a small native stream?
Thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Heddon Black Beauty Bamboo Fly Rod?

Six weight.

Keep this link, very handy; Fly line conversion to old-style letter

Also the link is saved as a Sticky in the Fly Lines sub forum. You'll see, HDH = DT line and the 'E' is for a level line.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-02-2013, 03:42 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Heddons were of the highest quality for production rods and the Black Beauty was about middle of the road in their line-up.
While shorter models are more desirable your 8.5' is very fishable. Both tips would have been the same. There was 2 in case you needed to rest one to avoid a "set"
The "1 3/4F" was the ferrule size and that one was used for the lightest "dry fly" action in that rod length.
HDH and E are the line sizes. HDH means the same as DT6F and an E would be a 5 level line. You may want to try a modern 5wt line first.

edit
I see that your rod has a short tip. Not ideal but still usable.....I change my mind.... 6wt not 5

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:55 PM

oldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura aboutoldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura about

Thank you both for the replies. I thought it was a much lighter weight but it was a good thing that I checked here. Now I just need to find a nice reel to match it.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

There is a really cool Medalist on the auction site closing in 17 hours. A 1494 with sculpted pillars, the round line guard and the neat metal hub latch cover. It looks to need a good cleaning but would be about a perfect match.

By watching auctions you could also find another rod like yours. If you end up really liking it, you need to have 2 good tips and a second rod would be the ticket.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-02-2013, 09:56 PM

Thanks letting me know about the reel. If I do end up using the rod often, I will definitly have to pick up another tip one way or another.