The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 03:35 PM
wackyjacky

Unhappy Snake Guide came undone

Hi folks:

New here on the board, and wanted to ask a question to the experts out there:

My son's rod has one of the feet of the snake guide came out of its thread/epoxy wrapping, when the boy yanked on it when he use it as a handhold to pull the sections apart I can kind of wedge it back in the "hole" a little bit, so that it's not dangling with one foot loose, but I'm wondering if there is a proper way to repair it.

Do you think the manufacturer can repair this? I'm surprised how easily it came out, I guess the wrapping and epoxy is more for it pulling away from the rod.

Thanks,

Jack
Old 05-05-2013, 03:38 PM

wlai is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Snake Guide came undone

Hope the boy don't feel too badly about it...these things happen to most of us.

I'm not sure if the warranty will cover stuff like this, but it's worth a try. I also wonder if someone in the rod building subforum may be able to help...
Old 05-05-2013, 03:50 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

This type of repair is actually very simple if you want to do it yourself. The problem is getting a proper match for the guide you need for the job. (Assumes you don't have reasonable access to rod building materials.)

The 'how' is pretty simple, but this is one those niddling jobs that it's easier to just hand the rod to a builder in your area. Whole process will take him minutes.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on how nice you want it done.

If you just want it functional, get the foot back in place, mix some epoxy and using a tooth pick work it into the gaps at the side of the foot and secure the thread with it.

The right way to do it is to take a hair dryer and remove all the thread and finish with nothing sharper and harder than your thumbnail. Find the matching threads and redo the guide. A good builder can do it so you can't tell it was ever done unless you have abused the rest of the guides, then you will have one matching but newer looking set of wraps.

On a final note, guides shouldn't be used to break the rod down. May want to nip that habit in the bud.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:20 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

I would take it to your local fly shop. A lot have some kind of rod building class and the teacher, at least at my local shops, will repair rods in house.

Randy