03-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Re: Favorite rod for casting streamers?
I fish streamers and big wets exclusively so I will give an opinion.
You need a rod that will toss a semi roll / power cast in many situations. Usually there is very little room for a backcast where I fish so the skill and technique of the caster comes into play more than the rod. I use braided lead heads rather than sinking lines and that helps allot with getting the cast back into the air regardless of the backcast area.
These are the rods I use;
* Lamiflex 6' 3" 5wt. very stiff
* Orvis 7' 9" 5wt Far & Fine, med fast
* Orvis PM 10 905, pretty fast
* Orvis 8' 6wt. Battenkill, slow / medium
* Greys Platinum X 9' 6" 7wt, med fast
* Quarrow Drake Big Horn 9' 7wt, medium
* Orvis cane 8' 6" Lt. Salmon 8wt. medium
* Orvis Sliver Lable 9' 9wt, medium / fast
* I have a new Sage VT2 9' 7wt. that remains untested.