The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 06:43 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Questions about a Bamboo Rod

Okay, so I know a guy that is considering selling this rod:

Heddon Bamboo flyrod " Bill Stanley's favorite" From the 1950's

#20 -9' 2 1/2F HC-H- or D ( Basically 5-6 weight)
3 Piece rod with extra tip, original rod sack, and tube.

I've tried to do a little research on this rod but I thought some of you guys here might be able to clear some things up.

for instance, the seller says it's basically a 5/6 wt. but my research indicates it's really a 6/7 wt. Which is correct?

Also, would I use modern line on this, or would I need to find silk line, and if so, where would I find it?

Also, what does this mean? #20 -9' 2 1/2F HC-H- or D

Finally, the rod is not in original condition; it has been refurbished, and judging from the pics it looks nearly brand new. What would be a fair asking price for something like this?

thanks in advance for your responses.

Peace.

Rich
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 05-09-2013, 08:19 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about a Bamboo Rod

Silk Fly Line Conversion Chart | Bamboo Fly Rod Information Center - Orvis

This site will give you the answers to your questions.

Dave
Old 05-09-2013, 10:39 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

There are modern fly lines designed to perform more like silk lines, Cortland Sylk is one I have. On my other bamboo rod I have a Wulff Triangle Taper. I like both.

I know little about bamboo and couldn't begin to give an appraisal but I'd guess people would need to see pics to give an informed answer.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:02 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
Also, what does this mean? #20 -9' 2 1/2F HC-H- or D
The number 20 is just the model number of the Bill Stanley rod.
The #20 rods were made in lengths from 6 foot to 9.5 foot with the shorter models being far more desirable.
The 2 1/2F is the ferrule size.
Heddon 9' rods came in four ferrule sizes. 2F (standard trout action),..2 1/2F (bass trout action),...2 3/4F (power-plus action),... 3F (heavy duty action). With the 2 1/2F (19/64" I.D.) on the 9' rods advertized as
Quote:
Dry fly action. Suitable for bass and trout. A most popular general purpose all around rod.
The HCH or D would probably take a modern DT6.Most any brand of supple line would do.

Value ?....Heddons are as good as they get when it comes to production rods. The fact that it's 9 footer (heavy) takes away from it's enjoyment value though.
rangerrich99 likes this.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 05-10-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:27 AM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

Take a look at Len Codella's site. He'll likely have a Heddon or two for sale and you can get an idea on prices. A few years ago, I possessed an 8 1/2 Heddon that had been refurbished and I sold it for $250. My guess is that today it might be worth double that. As already noted, this will be a heavy rod and not one you'd likely want to fish all day.

As to lines, I'd want to put a real silk line on it for two reasons. First, the real silk is much thinner than the Sylk lines sold by Cortland. The Cortland lines are very supple, but not as thin. The reason a 6 wt was the trout standard rod in the glory days of bamboo is that it is only the diameter of a 4 wt plastic line. Hence you get the same delicacy with a 6 wt silk as a 4 wt plastic line. And, it cuts the wind better.

The second reason is that the guides on old rods assumed the fisher would be using a thin silk line. Thus you'll get better casting and distance with the thinner line. As to sources, Google "Silk Fly Lines" and you'll get several hits. I've most recently dealt with Herndon Rod Company for both Phoenix and Terenzio lines. The new artificial silk lines from Terenzio are my current favorites and they are $70 cheaper than the Phoenix lines.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:52 AM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

curious synchronicity... I had never heard of a "Bill Stanley's Favorite" until I read this thread yesterday. But this morning, sitting in the market enjoying french toast and Ed Engel's "Splitting Cane", I found a reference to Bill Stanley's Favorites in chapter 2. Very brief comparison to other Heddon's....
Old 05-10-2013, 01:41 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
The number 20 is just the model number of the Bill Stanley rod.
The #20 rods were made in lengths from 6 foot to 9.5 foot with the shorter models being far more desirable.
The 2 1/2F is the ferrule size.
Heddon 9' rods came in four ferrule sizes. 2F (standard trout action),..2 1/2F (bass trout action),...2 3/4F (power-plus action),... 3F (heavy duty action). With the 2 1/2F (19/64" I.D.) on the 9' rods advertized as

The HCH or D would probably take a modern DT6.Most any brand of supple line would do.

Value ?....Heddons are as good as they get when it comes to production rods. The fact that it's 9 footer (heavy) takes away from it's enjoyment value though.
Thanks. That's a lot of info. Should help me make a decision.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark